Ground connection in house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYpowered

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to understand what the electrician did at my home and i think he misunderstood what i wanted him to do. I just need some advice to better comprehend the situation and what i should ask the electrician to do next time to fix it. So, i need to have ground in the house to several rooms, but the ground rod (i followed the cable from outside to inside the house) is connected to only one power socket in the kitchen. I do not see any other wire connections to the other sockets.

My questions:
1. Why did the electrician do it this way and what about ground for the other sockets? I borrowed a ground tester and based on the light coding, it indeed showed that there was ground connection in only one of the sockets.
2. What is the best way to go about fixing this? Obviously, i will ask an electrician (maybe a different one this time) but i just want to know what the proper procedure should be. Based on my research, the ground wire should be coming from outside to inside the house and connect to a junction box and from there, it should be distributed to every power socket in the room. Is that correct?
3. How many power sockets can be connected to the same ground rod or same junction box?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome;
Are your existing receptacles type C, F or G, (BS1363) because only the type G are ground able and usually are accompanied with a switch.

Thanks. Apparently something was not conveyed or was misunderstood, and while not inclined in a laborious task of reviewing your building codes, the electrician may have simply executed what he determined to be the most necessary protection, based upon common usage patterns.

The upgrade to grounding all the receptacles may have required a service inlet panel upgrade, to have been accomplished to current building codes.

While I don't know the code in Maritus, typically when one wants a receptacle outlet to have a ground (earth) connection, a cable with the grounding (earthing) wire included is run from the load center to the receptacle outlet.

Some codes allow a separate wire to be fished from the outlet box to a solidly grounded (earthed) item such as a nearby box with ground.

Think also if you need the grounded outlets. How often do you plug in an item requiring grounding in a bedroom or living room?
Perhaps for those without the earthing wire, change the receptacle outlet to a 2-wire plug.

If you have Type C plugs to go in the Type G receptacle, some people cheat and shove a piece of plastic in the earthing slot to open the shutters. (I'm not advising to do this, but it's done.)

Paul

When it comes to grounding in your house, it's all about safety and keeping things running smoothly. A solid ground connection is super important to prevent electrical shocks and fires.

When it comes to grounding in your house, it's all about safety and keeping things running smoothly. A solid ground connection is super important to prevent electrical shocks and fires.
It gives any stray electricity a safe path to the ground. One key thing to check is your electrical panel. Make sure everything's properly connected and the ground wires are in good shape. If you're not sure, it might be a good idea to call in a professional to take a look. They can make sure everything's up to code and safe for you and your family. It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to electricity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back