Hardwood stair squeezing sound

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYUE

Reaction score
Recently my hardwood stair has squeezing sound when stepped on. Since it is all finished/covered behind, so cannot reach the inside to check where went wrong. I just suspect that the sound is produced between the stepping wood board and the vertical wood board. What can I do to fix this problem?

Attachments

• HARDWOOD stair.jpg
    HARDWOOD stair.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6
You could try spraying a small amount of teflon dry lubricant spray along the joint where the riser and tread meet.
Also, a little talcum powder or baby powder sprinkled along there, then worked into the space with a dry paintbrush, is an old carpenters’ trick for squeaky boards.

Try to get some baby powder and try, hope it works. Thank you.

tried my best to put baby powder in between the riser and tread. I don't know whether they actually go in(?) as I cannot see any gap in between. Sound still there.

If powder can’t sneak in there, then buy a can of teflon spray dry lubricant.
Might be about $10.00.
It can be sprayed right at the crack where the boards meet, there is a little sprayer straw that comes with it.
There is a liquid that carries the teflon powder, but it dries up in a few seconds.
Be sure to wipe down the nearby areas with something like windex or mild dish soap solution, because the overspray will be super slippery.

Tomorrow will get the teflon Dry Lubricant spray. Thank you.

If your stair parts are nailed, not screwed together, that squeaky sound can also come from a nail rubbing inside a moving board.
If you can find the exact spot that moves and makes the sound, you can add some more nails or trim screws, to hold the noisy board still.

is it safe to nail? will nail crack the wood? or need a special nail to do the job?

is it safe to nail? will nail crack the wood? or need a special nail to do the job?
You can pre-drill a pilot hole for a nail or screw.
A slightly thinner size drill bit than the width of the nail or screw.
And a counter sink for a screw head.
If you don’t understand this process, hire a carpenter or handyman.
That’s only if the teflon does not fix the squeak.

Yes, will try the teflon dry lub first, if not working, will bring some pro to do the job. Thank you Jeff.

If the spray doesn’t work and you want to try fasteners, look for trim screws. Great holding strength and a small head to cover with filler.

I always search for talcum powder, cornstarch makes gravy.

Latest posts

Back