leveling toilet on pebbled floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenlady0

greenlady0
Reaction score
Any tips? Just underwent a bathroom redo extended the riverstone/pebble flooring from shower into rest of small bathroom. Problem now is finding a way to level older toilet over the stones any ideas appreciated.

If you decide to caulk for stability, make sure you caulk only the left, right and front sides of the toilet, but leave the back open so as to alert you if and when the wax ring fails you.

I guess people sitting on toilets and getting up again is considered to be an "impact load". For sure it's not a "static load" so I'd use epoxy with these shims so they don't work themselves out over time.

Find the high spots and grind them down with a masonry grinding wheel.

I am very uncomfortable with this approach. The point load along the outside rim of the toilet will hit unevenly. The result could be cracking of the toilet. Not good.

You are better off laying down a QuickSet generously thick border around the circumference of the toilet rim at the maximum height of the pebbles. Use a double wax ring or extension to lift the connection. Obviously, you want long hold down bolts for the toilet and cut off the excess.

Lay the pebble sheets close to the rim but hold them back a bit. Lay individual pebbles to close the gap between the pebbles and the bottom rim. Caulk the final gap in the front and sides. Leave the back open (no caulk) in case there is ever a leak.

• Place the water closet (W/C, toilet) on the flange without any seal.
  • Make sure it is square, then trace an outline of the W/C onto the floor.
  • Remove the W/C, and set to the side. Now take some plumbers putty and make a rope about 3/4" think and place on the inside of your traced marks, and gently flatten it by hand.
  • Now place what you are using for a seal, and set the W/C.
  • Apply all your weight on the W/C and gently rock it to compress the seal and the putty.
  • Now tighten very evenly the closet bolts. Once secure, cut away excess putty.
  • Do not caulk at this time, after a few days use, check the closet bolts for tightness, now you may caulk if you want.

Hardened plumber's putty can support weight without cracking? How quick does it harden?

"tighten very evenly the closet bolts"
while checking for level.

Uh, Ratz? That is a nice progression ... but how do you account for the pebbles? Or, is this just a way to set a toilet on a standard surface?

Call me a bit "confused."

CONFUSED.jpg

Back