Pressure cleaning co. cracked concrete roof tiles...Now what?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2284200

Reaction score
Hello all,

Yesterday, a "licensed and insured" pressure cleaning co. that I hired to soft wash the white concrete tile roof on my 2-story house came out for the job. The owner was alone doing the job and put a ladder going from the first roof to the second. Not long after he started the job, I heard the ladder crash onto the roof and looked up to see him getting up off the first roof. Apparently, while he was using the ladder it slipped out from under him. He said he was OK and worked another 2-3 hours to complete the job. After which, he took a bunch of pictures to show me how clean the roofs were.

Just after he left I was walking by a 2nd floor window that over-looks the area where the ladder fell and I noticed that several tiles were cracked. I sent him a text with these images, and he acted surprised "OMG, How didn't I see that?" and asked if he could "come another day to seal them?". He also said "my back is hurting right now that I'm colder", so THAT got my attention. I replied that I wasn't sure if "sealing" will work on all the broken tiles, and I think some may need to be replaced, but I'm going to have to go up there to see. He was very apologetic and said "please let me know, so we can get them done".

FWIW, he didn't require any $ up-front to start, so I've yet to pay him anything, and haven't had a chance to get up there to take a closer look.

That said, as a home-owner, how you would handle this situation moving forward?

I appreciate your feedback!

Attachments

• 78A4226E-B2F5-4483-A422-CA2DF8A53A47.jpeg
    78A4226E-B2F5-4483-A422-CA2DF8A53A47.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B4809D3B-88DB-4C34-8C3A-9E93DF487AE0.jpeg
    B4809D3B-88DB-4C34-8C3A-9E93DF487AE0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Since they were insured... it's time to file a claim with their insurance company and have your roof replaced!

Roof replaced for a some cracked tiles? That sounds like quite a stretch!

Last edited:
Provided those tiles are still available, replacing those broken should be no problem. Read the fine print on the contract though, because many add a clause on broken tiles, stating they are not responsible.

Provided those tiles are still available, replacing those broken should be no problem. Read the fine print on the contract though, because many add a clause on broken tiles, stating they are not responsible.
Thanks!

I've got several tiles leftover from the original install 11 years ago, so hopefully they'll be all that are needed.

On the written proposal that I accepted, there's no fine print or clause on broken tiles, stating they are not responsible.

FWIW: I told the pressure cleaning co. owner I was going to call a few licensed and insured roofing contractors to provide estimates on repairing/replacing the damage. To which, he replied "let me know what they say", so he appears willing to take responsibility for paying for the repairs and/or having his insurance co. pay.

I've got 3 roofers coming out tomorrow, we'll see how it goes... 🤞

Good luck. Please keep us posted!

Yeah, "let me know what they say" is a lot different than, "we're going to make sure this gets fixed for you sir"

You may not ever be able to get in touch with him once you get some estimates to be able to let him know what they say.

Did you ask for a copy of his insurance before the job and call his insurance company to verify he has coverage and it's still an active policy?

It's gotten to the point these days where this is the smart thing to do because you know anybody can print up a fake insurance rider on their computer

Yeah, "let me know what they say" is a lot different than, "we're going to make sure this gets fixed for you sir"

You may not ever be able to get in touch with him once you get some estimates to be able to let him know what they say.

Did you ask for a copy of his insurance before the job and call his insurance company to verify he has coverage and it's still an active policy?

It's gotten to the point these days where this is the smart thing to do because you know anybody can print up a fake insurance rider on their computer
Yes, it IS a lot different...But also as I stated in my op in response to his offer to go up and seal them, when I told him I think some tiles may need to be replaced,"He was very apologetic and said 'please let me know, so we can get them done'."

That said, no I did not ask for a copy of his insurance before the job and call his insurance company to verify he has coverage and it's still an active policy, which obviously in hindsight was a mistake.

These are a couple of reasons why I said, "we'll see how it goes... 🤞"

The only thing in my favor so far, is that I have not had to pay him.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm not there yet, but...
If the pressure cleaning co. agrees to pay for the roofer, by either putting a claim in with their insurance and/or paying out of pocket...
Would you pay the pressure cleaning co's original fee to clean the roof?

Latest posts

Back