Price Check

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mp1981

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I'm Marco and I'm new to this forum.

We bought our first house 6 month ago here in Miami and yesterday we had to call a technician for a problem with our AC.
30 minutes of work and this was the final invoice. Could you please tell me if these prices are average? I'm not an expert, they seem very high to me, but I don't want to complain without a reason.

Thanks for your help!Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 2.58.48 PM.png

Your bill appears to be one that the service company wanted to get up to $475. That is probably the amount this company is looking to get on each of their service calls so they will structure the bill to get there rather than use actual time and materials.

Unfortunately in the on demand HVAC service business, this is what we are seeing these days. There are some companies that would charge you $1500 for that same service. There are others that would charge $250. The ones that run all of those ads on television and billboards tend to be more expensive because they have to pay for those ads. You'll get great service out of them, but you will pay.

As a new homeowner, you should try to have your service companies (HVAC, Plumber, Locksmith, Appliance Repair, Etc,) lined up before you need them. Don't put yourself in the position of having to find one of these companies during an emergency.

One of the best ways to find service companies is to talk to your new neighbors and ask who they use. Neighbors know the good ones and the bad ones. You can also talk to your realtor about service company recommendations.

Having 3 quotes before any work was done would have stopped this frustration.

Having 3 quotes before any work was done would have stopped this frustration.
Exactly. And, always ask for a price before you commit to any type of work being preformed and have them explain in writing any additional costs that may occur in the event of unknown factors.

That bill looks heavily padded, never call them again.

I’m surprised there was not an entry like, “Tug on beard, scratch crotch. $259.00”.

Get on your local Nextdoor app, ask for help with reliable hvac companies that your neighbors trust.

It is very hard to get companies to give a price for repair work. That being said you can always find out what their hourly rates is. I find this invoice very high and would contest it .

Some places have a minimum charge per job, and also a trip charge.

But this bill is not written like that.

As a new homeowner, you should try to have your service companies (HVAC, Plumber, Locksmith, Appliance Repair, Etc,) lined up before you need them. Don't put yourself in the position of having to find one of these companies during an emergency.
Wise advice, have someone out to to do a preventative service on the systems even if they run great and aren't too old. You get to know the company, it's not too expensive since it's not an emergency, and you know where you equipment stands. As Bob said ask around who folks use.

$35 here for a service call.

Back