Splicing a king stud on load bearing wall.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago, I worked on a house in New Hampshire that was built in 1786. It had those counterweight sash windows. All of the ropes were rotten. It was amazing that by simply replacing the rope, the windows were able to properly function again. I don't know when these things were invented, but I do believe they were original to that house.

It has always fascinated me to see how the settlers made things work with the resources that they had. That house had been built with balloon framing from timber that had been cut on the property using the power of a waterfall. To think they were able to saw those large trees with only the power of that watermill is just amazing.

TRIVIA: According to The Guardian article ( Who invented the sash window and what are its virtues? Why did builders not adopt the inward-opening French window, which is simpler and more easily cleaned? | Notes and Queries | guardian.co.uk (theguardian.com) );

"MOST probably, sash windows were not 'invented' but developed from the simpler horizontal sliding sash (known today as the 'Yorkshire' sash). They are supposed to have come from Holland in the seventeenth century. However, W. Horman, in his Vulgaria , printed in 1519, writes: 'Glasen wyndowis let in the lyght . . . I have many prety wyndowes shette with levys goynge up and down.' They were first used conspicuously at Chatsworth in 1676-80 and then in 1685 at the Banqueting House at Whitehall, designed by Inigo Jones..."

My ancestor, Cornet Robert Stetson built the first sawmill in Norwell, Massachusetts (circa 1634) and ever since a little boy I have been amazed by the ability and fortitude they had in those days. An accomplishment among many, but one I am particularly proud of. This particular thread has refreshed that feeling and Bob, your comments really did it.

It has always fascinated me to see how the settlers made things work with the resources that they had. That house had been built with balloon framing from timber that had been cut on the property using the power of a waterfall. To think they were able to saw those large trees with only the power of that watermill is just amazing.

Thank you all, and I hope while you are reading this you are thinking back to what your ancestors have accomplished as well and be proud, regardless when. Every era has wrought amazing technology we are still using today.

Latest posts

Back