Taking care of the bees

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailor86

Reaction score
I have one of them large rubbermaid plastic containers that I keep my crushed cans in. It's got a lid but apparently it doesn't seal good enough because I opened it up and there were a few bees. I've got spray killer but what I need to know is is there a product I can buy that will repel the bees from coming around in the first place?

Rinse the cans out before crushing nothing short of a tigher fitting cover is going to work.

You could try getting one of these bee trap things that I've seen in Walmart or Target.

bee_trap_close.jpg

Actually, after some investigation, I discovered 2 small holes located under the handles; for ventilation or something. I duct-taped over them and crisis averted.

Good, you shouldn't kill bees unnecessarily (non-Africanized honeybees and bumblebees; carpenter bees, wasps and especially hornets are another matter)

I found around three dozen wasp nests around the back porch and other areas of the house I just bought, including the remnants of a nest that was as large as an oblong basketball that the previous owners had professionally exterminated.

Last edited:
Paint the underside of porches light blue, flying insects will not land on them and will go elsewhere to make nests. Sounds crazy, but it works.

There are two houses near my old one with light blue porch roofs (I assume you mean painting under the deck). I always thought they did that for appearance.

I've decided to enclose the porch and make a year-round room out of it.

Latest posts

Back