Water is leaving my hair feeling waxy and gross

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleigh71

Reaction score
My water is city water. We are known to have some of the best water in the state. It isn’t hard water. It’s relatively soft. When I shower, it leaves a build up on my hair that is sticky and makes it very hard to brush. Looks like I haven’t showered in a month right after I dry my hair. What’s strange is that my next door neighbor has the same water as me and doesn’t have this issue. I know this because lately I’ve been washing my hair at their house with no issues. I’ve had multiple plumbers come out and the haven’t been able to solve the issue. Has anyone experienced this?

I'd be looking at getting your water checked, and I would be thinking about putting a softener in even on city water... I have a few Buddies who live in the city, and they still have water softeners...But the first thing I would do is have someone in to run several tests on your water... Is it safe to drink? But yes, get someone in to check the chlorine, the PHs... etc...

It seems that your water heater might be the only thing that differs from your neighbor's plumbing unless the neighbor has a filter or softener. Did the problem suddenly arise?

It seems that your water heater might be the only thing that differs from your neighbor's plumbing unless the neighbor has a filter or softener. Did the problem suddenly arise?
It’s been for 5 years since I moved in. We have a newer water heater. And the Neighbor doesn’t have any filters or extras. I also called the water company to see if anyone else has had this issue and they said no.

I'd be looking at getting your water checked, and I would be thinking about putting a softener in even on city water... I have a few Buddies who live in the city, and they still have water softeners...But the first thing I would do is have someone in to run several tests on your water... Is it safe to drink? But yes, get someone in to check the chlorine, the PHs... etc...
Thanks for the suggestions!

I would compare hot and cold water by evaporating (microwave) a an inch or so level away and checking for residue. Use throwaway jelly jars or similar.

This will sound dumb, but I'm just making sure there isn't something obvious that is being missed (been there... done that):
Did you happen to use the same shampoo, and conditioner if you use it, when you showered in your house vs your neighbors?

Latest posts

Back