Wire size for ground rod

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Following up on a post from 3 weeks ago, I plan to drive ground rods, then run a heavy wire from them to ground wires from recepticles around my house that currently are grounded to galvanized water pipes (repiping with pex next week). Two questions:

1) I had planned to connect to the ground rod with 8 awg but saw something today that recommened 6 awg. Do I really need that size?
2) The best thing I found to connect smaller wires to the primary ground wire are split bolt connectors. However, those suckers are expensive, especially if I should go with the 6 awg. Can anyone suggest an adequate but cheaper connector?

Thanks.

Not sure what code requires but soldered connections would be cheaper than connectors.

Not sure what code requires but soldered connections would be cheaper than connectors.
I don't doubt you are right about that, but I have no experience soldering and all the connections will be made laying on my back in the crawlspace so I am going to have to use some kind of mechanical connector. If I have to use split bolt connectors, they are about $7.50 each.

Since you don't really need them grounded and to do so might not meet code I don't think I would go to that expense.

I've recently had 2 different electricians here to upgrade to a 200 A service panel. Both said 3 ground rods, 5 feet apart, and grounded to incoming water feed was mandatory using #4 wire. Must be a local thing.

I've recently had 2 different electricians here to upgrade to a 200 A service panel. Both said 3 ground rods, 5 feet apart, and grounded to incoming water feed was mandatory using #4 wire. Must be a local thing.
It could also be a change in code.

My concern is my meter is 70 feet away from my incoming water line. 70' of #4 wire across my garage, around my planter, and into my flower bed makes this a no go. I'm now inquiring whether I can punch into my garage, bury it in the drywall, thru a bedroom, down a closet, and out to the water main will work?

Since you don't really need them grounded and to do so might not meet code I don't think I would go to that expense.

Wall plus don't need to be grounded???

I'm shocked! cool-shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back