First Post, need opinions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you need a flat floor space in the attic, a flush beam is more work with more possible problems and gains nothing here. I generally choose based on what it will take to get the beam inside the house. Stubbornly sticking to one method or the other can turn a relatively easy job into a self-made nightmare and I try to avoid those :cool:

Wall spread can happen. I painted a house for a landlord about 5 years ago and noted that the front wall was out by about 3/4", leaving only 2-3/4" for the joists to sit on the wall. Last year I was asked to repair the same area and saw it had moved about 3/4" more. Now only 2" is bearing and likely that old wood has compressed into a slope tending to wedge the wall out further faster. No matter how I tried to explain how dangerous this was he wouldn't hear of fixing it. I told him I would not step foot into that house again unless it was being fixed. I drive by there often and I know that someday I'll see a pile of rubble where a repairable house once stood- what a waste. I just hope it's vacant when that happens.

Phil

No argument here.:agree:

Converting to a vaulted ceiling might be cheaper as there is no beam.
Just another question for an engineer.

scissor1.gif

Latest posts

Back