Bathroom layout help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that you need to consider the placement of your water supply lines for this space. If you live somewhere that gets freezing temperatures, it might be against code to have them in an exterior wall. You can generally have the vents in the exterior wall though.

You also need to consider the electrical runs because you need to have at least one GFCI outlet within (I think) 2-ft of the sink.

Did your husband also make a sketch of the floor below to get an idea of what fixtures are where in the kitchen so we can have a general idea of where the plumbing will go?

Oh! And if you don't have a window in that room, you will need to install a vent fan to get the moisture out. It will need to vent to either the outside or through ducting. Hell, even with a window you might still need a vent fan.

I know you might not be able to answer all of these questions without being able to look at the house again, but I would bring some stuff up.

Good luck on the house buying!

If you go with SNS's suggestion, rough in the plumbing service to accommodate future plumbing needs if you ever do add a dormer roof down the road.

i have a crazy Idea, what are the dimensions of bedroom 1 ? that is going to be the bedroom for the litle fella on the stairs , right ?

why not, make bedroom 1, the bathroom, and the attic space the little Dudes room?

he is little enough that height restrictions wont bother him abit.
and then down the road. when your finances are a little better, you can bump out the roof, and give the now teenager some head room
[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure that would work at all. Mostly because the attic space doesn't have any heat going to it, which we thought would be ok for a bathroom if we did radiant heat in the flooring. Bedroom 1 is significantly larger than the diagram shows. Mentally I put Hubby and I in bedroom 1 with our daughter and an eventual #2 sharing bedroom 2 until they are old enough that hubs and I feel they need their own rooms and don't need us right there, so we would move to the bedroom downstairs. Here is a picture of bedroom #1. The bed is still farther to the left. It has a little side room which is shown. I know might fit a bathroom better, but I don't think the plumbing would be as easy, and the side room really makes it a more desirable size, assuming that would be where you keep the dressers and then it's a "dressing room"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 43
Here is the whole house floor plan. It was made just to help us think about the space and remember it from all of the other houses we have seen, so it is not very well to scale, and he was not confident about having the North wall the same on each floor! I have tried to label the North wall to help switch it around.

image.jpg

Is the water heater in the basement? I'm assuming washer and dryer are in the basement as well. It would help to know where the hot water runs from as well as an estimate of where the cold water comes in to the house.

I wonder if that kitchen sink has an S-trap. Since it is under a window, I'm guessing that it does. Older homes are less likely to have a proper drain-waste-vent (DWV) system in place unless they were updated to more modern plumbing codes.

It looks like Bedroom 1 is over the main floor bathroom. But it is awkwardly placed and I'm not sure how the walls line up. I wonder if it would be possible to take part of Bedroom 1 and make it into a bathroom-- but then you have the problem of how to access it. If it were under the north part of bedroom 2 then you could cut a little out of both bedrooms and have a jack & jill bathroom-- doors entering bathroom from both bedrooms-- between them (although I'm not overly fond of that kind of bathroom-- some people like them).

Knowing where the fixtures in the downstairs bath are might help to guess about where the plumbing for it might be.

These sketches are helpful in getting a better idea. Speaking of which, have you heard of Google Sketchup? It lets you convert 2D drawings to 3D layouts. It takes a bit to get used to it and I'm still learning the ropes on it. But if you have the time and inclination, it's pretty fun to make the sketches and get a better idea of what things will look like.

I don't know how many times the happy couple has visited this house, but I'm sure that kind of detail is lost in the big picture. At this point, it's obvious (I guess) that we can find a way to make it work. The next step is for JessicaK and family to decide how much they like that house, and if so, take a deep look with the realtor into the plumbing, electrical, construction details (as best as possible) and what it's worth to them. We'll be here when they decide :beer:

I forgot to mention, on the heating thing for the bathroom, since you will need to have a vent fan for the space to remove the moisture, you could go with one that is a fan AND heater. They sell various combos: vent+light, vent+heat, vent+light+heat. There is a formula to figure out the CFM required for the room. It's the volume of the room divided by 7.5. Getting a good fan with heat would be cheaper than in-floor heating, but you could do both.

A bath heater/fan is designed for use when you're in the shower, not for constant use. You would need heat there full-time to protect the plumbing. (assuming the location has winter conditions)

Ah. Good point. I was just thinking about warming the space while people were in it.

We didn't get the house. :(

It's been on the market for 3 months and the seller owes the asking price on the house. She's only willing to go $2,500 in closing costs with the original price, and at that price, we don't have enough budget left to fix the many many things that need help. :(

Thanks for all the advice though.

:agree: Thanks for letting the forum know. You might get a call you never know. That's how hard ball is played.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find a good home soon though.

It can be very disappointing to really want a house and not be able to get it. But, there are other ones out there.

Latest posts

Back