Bathroom layout help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it is open to the studs, you are seeing the back side of the plaster wall. The house was built in 1914.

Is the bedroom on the other side. With a door for the sink and toilet and a door for the shower this becomes easy enough. Have open framing on that side makes it even easier.

The rooms have the other side of the roof for their closets. This space is right above the kitchen and the plumber thought the route for the pipes looked great.

And, luckily, I am the "she" and have no need of incredible storage for shoes. just need a second bathroom for our growing family.

No offence I hope about the closet comment and women liking closets.

I know where Neal’s mind is going I will let him fly with the plaster wall idea.

before you go any further

what size are the floor joists under the bath to be? they need to be 2x8 minimum,

before you go any further

what size are the floor joists under the bath to be? they need to be 2x8 minimum,

I raised this concern with the plumber. I'm not sure if he could tell from looking in the basement, but he said the floor was great. Now that I know what number to look for, I will check as well when it gets opened up.

The other side of the wall on that end is the stairs. The current door into this space is right on the landing that opens to the bedrooms, so well placed by our view, with the exception that maybe the bathroom is a little deep, but due to the stairs, you can't really change that unless you went to the other end of the space, which would increase the plumbing distance and floor rip up need.

Here is a little diagram my husband made of the upstairs. It's not greatly to scale, but at least shows how things are kind of set up.

image.jpeg

I raised this concern with the plumber. I'm not sure if he could tell from looking in the basement, but he said the floor was great. Now that I know what number to look for, I will check as well when it gets opened up.

The other side of the wall on that end is the stairs. The current door into this space is right on the landing that opens to the bedrooms, so well placed by our view, with the exception that maybe the bathroom is a little deep, but due to the stairs, you can't really change that unless you went to the other end of the space, which would increase the plumbing distance and floor rip up need.

Here is a little diagram my husband made of the upstairs. It's not greatly to scale, but at least shows how things are kind of set up.

that is not good news, your bathroom just got 3 1/2'' smaller.

stairs should have a rim joist around it, if the wall is sitting on the rim joist
plumbing can not come up thru the joist. SO..a another wall needs to be built in front of that joist/wall

bathroom_layout_dims_door.jpg

image (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Frodo is looking for the height from the ceiling below to the floor upstairs less ceiling plaster, sub floor and finished floor. I would expect this to be balloon frame and 2x6 joists

How long is the wall from the stairs to bedroom 2 and which set of stairs comes up to this floor?

The house you are looking at is a little newer than the one we bought a couple years ago ours is 1870’s but the construction methods are close I’m sure. They are framed much different than modern construction and built like tanks.

What we did is when we made an offer and it looked like it was going to go we asked the realtor for a couple hours in the house to do measurements. If you go room by room and measure and find where doors are and such and get a rough idea how thick walls are you can make two plans first floor and second floor and lay one over the other. I did mine as a 3D cad drawing but if you don’t have that you can do paper and pencil just fine and draw on a tracing paper you can see thru. Until you get to that point don’t get too into details other than you will figure out a way to get a bath up there and we can help you do it to a budget.

Sometimes people include some of that cost in with the loan but doing that the bank will have none of this DIY stuff. get the place for as little as you can and don’t muddy the waters with talk of changing anything till after you get it.

Only one bath is a great discount point to make in the offer.

stairs should have a rim joist around it, if the wall is sitting on the rim joist
plumbing can not come up thru the joist. SO..a another wall needs to be built in front of that joist/wall

My understanding was that the plumber was going to go strait down from the attic room, through the kitchen and into the basement, never entering the stair space.

I've shown my husband some of this, he is really impressed with the forum. I'm guessing he will be on to post more specific measurements.:)

We understand where the pipes are going. Each question we ask is because someone has some detail that they want to explore depending on the answer. So just find the answers when you can and see what they come up with.

We understand where the pipes are going. Each question we ask is because someone has some detail that they want to explore depending on the answer. So just find the answers when you can and see what they come up with.

I don't own this home. I only get the chance to see it when I request a showing with my realtor. It's not that I'm trying to be difficult. This project is just in the idea stage at this point, so exact measurements aren't even on the drawing board at this point. I am trying to establish if this house will allow a bathroom to be installed without looking completely haphazard and within a budget that makes this house worth it, other wise we would need to find a different home that already has 2 bathrooms.

I know you said money was tight, but...I'd still get an estimate to see what the cost of putting a shed roof up there would be. If you haven't closed, get that cost rolled into the loan. I'll shut up now. ;)

I know you said money was tight, but...I'd still get an estimate to see what the cost of putting a shed roof up there would be. If you haven't closed, get that cost rolled into the loan. I'll shut up now. ;)

I do love this idea and am thinking it might be the best way to achieve the finalized feel that we want. I'm quite sure it is out of the price range for now, but in a few years would be a nice way to expand if we could set things up now to have a stool and sink, in a confirmation that is functional now and will allow this as an addition in the future.

We are so far from closing, we haven't even made an offer yet. Every place I've called wants to charge us a "service fee" for an estimate because we don't own the home. It is definitely something I will look into more once we have made an offer.

I asked the bank about increasing the loan amount to include some funds for an upgrade. She sort of mumbled something about how that doesn't work and suggested we put less down on the home and use that money to do the work instead. I don't quite get why she was saying that, as she said we would easily be approved for an additional 20k if we wanted to look at higher priced homes. I need to do some more shopping around for banks.

Sorry for being defensive. The message I read from nealtw essentially translated as: "It doesn't matter if our questions don't make any sense to you. Just answer them!"

Here are a few more photos of the space. On the upper landing, you can see a board that creates a bit of a ledge on the wall where the stairs are going down. Is this the rim joist? I will not have an opportunity to get back into the house for a while, so this is the best I can do.

image.jpg

i have a crazy Idea, what are the dimensions of bedroom 1 ? that is going to be the bedroom for the litle fella on the stairs , right ?

why not, make bedroom 1, the bathroom, and the attic space the little Dudes room?

he is little enough that height restrictions wont bother him abit.
and then down the road. when your finances are a little better, you can bump out the roof, and give the now teenager some head room
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I think you can get a toilet and a sink in that space...not so sure about a shower.
The reference pic of a finished bath shows a short wall that is about five feet tall; that would be about hubby's shoulder in the first picture. you could go a bit shorter, but not much. The ergonomics sketch of a man sitting down shows a much lower seat, so that doesn't quite work either. I tried to combine the two pics, but the scale and perspective aren't quite right. I matched the the inside wall and the roof line and this is what I get, FWIW:

If you put the fixtures on the inside wall, on either side of the door, you won't be banging your head.
If you really like the house and you feel you can live with just a WC for now, then why not go for it?

bathcomp.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back