Voltage reduction?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the sub-panel I checked all the wires (all the white wires to the bus bar, the 2 black cables, the black cable with the yellow stripe, even the black wires going to the breakers). None of them appeared loose.

In the main panel I just checked the 2 black cables. Is there another one in the main panel I need to check?

The cable with the stripe should find it's way back to the main. We don't see it in the photo but it should be there.

What readings are you getting at the input in the sub box? If it is good there check at the breaker supplying the outlets that have trouble. These test will tell you what direction you need to keep working at.

I checked the black with yellow stripe cable at the main panel. I was able to give it just about 1/16th of a turn, but it didn't seem loose or anything. I don't know how hard you're supposed to torque down on those things. I did notice that there appears to be a splice. See the pics below. There is a section wrapped in tape and the cable sheathing above the tape looks more faded than that below the tape.

EMP3.jpg

EMP4.jpg

Blue Jay, the outlets in the shop all have 115v-120v going to them. The table saw works a little better since I've been fiddling with everything but something still doesn't seem right.

I would have no idea what I'm looking for. It might be time to call an electrician.

I wouldn’t know what to look for also but it’s pretty clear someone stuck a short piece of wire onto that common. If there is a chance you have a bad connection someplace the place to look is the place that’s done in an unorthodox way.

Kill the power and take the connection loose and unwrap the tape. You can always tape it back up if it seems ok.

I would think if that is a join it should have a healthy clamp on it. And we would be able to see it even when taped.

Haven't had time to look at it today. But tomorrow I'll cut the power and take a closer look. I'm hoping I can remove the tape without disconnecting the cable.

Well, here's what we got. There is indeed a splice under that tape. It "feels" tight. The resistance across it is negligible, about 2-4 ohms among the various strands of the cable. But it has to be the problem. I have a portable 110v compressor that won't start. But if I wheel it over to the house it starts up fine.

What's the next step?

Wire%20splice.jpg

Last edited:
I think 2-4 ohms would be real high across the splice, but it could be your meter not being able to get such a low reading. Not sure what size wire that is but say a #4 would be something like( .25 ohms ) over 1000 feet. And you are measuring an inch.

I don’t know if it is the splice but I don’t really care for it. That common bar at the top is the only one in the box with the large holes?

I doubt you have a crimper for that big wire. Some of the pros will be around and advise.

I wonder if you can add another lug lower and do away with the splace. This is a question not an answer.

Splice looks fine. Tape it back up.

Taped it back up and put everything back. Went back to the shop and still the same issue (was naively hoping that messing around with it would fix the problem).

Whatever the fix is at this point I don't trust myself to do it. Called an electrician who should be by later today. I'm really afraid that he's going to tell me the only way to fix it is to run new cable, which sounds like big $$

Did you ever mention how the power is run out there? Is it underground thru conduit?
How long is the run?

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

It's about a 200' run underground. I don't know if it is through conduit. Whatever the code requires I guess.

Latest posts

Back