Extension cord usage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDrake

Reaction score
that using long lengths of extension cords can create problems.

I am planning on putting a upright freezer in my garage. The preferred place is 10-12 ft from the closest outlet.

Would this present any problems or concerns?

I totally agree with what slownsteady said and will add -

Find a cord rated for appliance use (such as one for an air conditioner) at least 12 gauge. Again, only as long as need be.

Since it is in the garage make sure the connection of the freezer cord to the extension cord is up off the floor of the garage. Also, would not hurt to have it GFCI protected. Periodically check to be sure the GFCI receptacle did not trip and the freezer shut off.

But best thing to do is move the freezer to the receptacle.

My take:

Get somebody to splice #14 or #12 stranded 3 wire cord into the existing cord to give you the length you need. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a short heavy extension cord and cut the ends off to get this type of cord section. Since you don't need flexibility you could even use a chunk of Romex.
That person will need a soldering iron, solder, heat shrink tubing and a flame to shrink the tubing.
It won't be pretty.

If you're worried about shock hazard, run a separate wire from the freezer housing to a known good ground.

But,
-fridges & freezers may not work well in unheated garages

-if a plug in that outlet is easy to pull out, replace the outlet.

-if the compressor has trouble starting, you have house electrical problems.

Last edited:
Is the inside of this garage finished?
If not, it's a simple DIY job to add another outlet closer to where it's needed.
Any fridge I've ever bought had a warning in the manual to not use an extension cord.

that using long lengths of extension cords can create problems.

I am planning on putting a upright freezer in my garage. The preferred place is 10-12 ft from the closest outlet.

Would this present any problems or concerns?

First we don't know where you live and if your garage is heated. I personally don't like freezers in garages in northern climates as they seem to have problems working properly.

If you do put it out there and follow the advice to put in a new outlet for this. If the garage is unfinished it is very simple if it is finished it still is pretty simple to do.

Do not cut and splice and solder the wires as suggested.

If you want to do the extension cord idea go to the hardware or home improvement store and tell them you want to make a heavy duty 12' extension cord. they will sell you proper wire a box, cover clamp, outlet and plug. will take 15 minutes to put together. Don't run it anyplace you walk over.

First we don't know where you live and if your garage is heated. I personally don't like freezers in garages in northern climates as they seem to have problems working properly.

If you do put it out there and follow the advice to put in a new outlet for this. If the garage is unfinished it is very simple if it is finished it still is pretty simple to do.

Do not cut and splice and solder the wires as suggested.

If you want to do the extension cord idea go to the hardware or home improvement store and tell them you want to make a heavy duty 12' extension cord. they will sell you proper wire a box, cover clamp, outlet and plug. will take 15 minutes to put together. Don't run it anyplace you walk over.
Thanks for all the suggestions.. The garage is unheated but usually is above freezing, I am in southern Ontario.

I have been overruled on the wisdom of putting a freezer in the garage..

I will review the suggestions, thanks to all

proper wire a box, cover clamp, outlet and plug. will take 15 minutes to put together.
It's not the wire resistance that is the problem with extension cords and high current draw appliances. It's the contact resistance between plugs and sockets so those are what you want to minimize.

Do not make your own cord, in this case.

Mr. 16415, bone up on "contact resistance".
The back-stabbed receptacles were a good example of this problem. As are old receptacles that have lost their spring temper. As is a loose car battery clamp.

It's not the wire resistance that is the problem with extension cords and high current draw appliances. It's the contact resistance between plugs and sockets so those are what you want to minimize.

Do not make your own cord, in this case.

Mr. 16415, bone up on "contact resistance".
The back-stabbed receptacles were a good example of this problem. As are old receptacles that have lost their spring temper. As is a loose car battery clamp.

From the point of power generation to the OP’s freezer there is likely 100’s if not 1000’s of points of contact resistance. I don’t see where adding one more is going to change much.

A good quality designed point of contact involves a wipe and a self-cleaning process and are intended to minimize problems.

Neal’s extension cord looks perfect for a non wiring solution.

Latest posts

Back