AC/furnace water leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogar6

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently developed what appears to be a leak where the plenum meets the unit.

Any thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It the condensation line. Probably clogged up. Happens at my house all the time.

Would that be the white pipe coming out of the plenum that is clogged?

Warm air has moisture in it and as it cools moisture condenses and water drains out thru those white pipes Cleaning the tray inside should be a regular chore.

Sometimes the PVC gets clogged with dirt and debris. Try pouring hot water down the PVC to clean it out,

algee accumulated on the drain pan inside the unit.

shut unit down, turn off breaker gday-mate-aussie-smiley-emoticon.gif

put on your PPE equipment and adhere to all safety rules and practices

remove the side panel to the coil section using a drill and either a 1/4'' socket or a 5/16
inspect the white pvc drain pan, clean all algee/mold and disguard. pour a little water onto the pan, to check and see if it is draining out the drain
then, if it is , pour 1/4 cup bleach onto the pan.
if it is NOT draining, blow the drain pipe out with compressed air, then pour a litle bleach to kill mold

at this time, check the coil itself for dust/dirt, crap, and clean the coil, BEING CAREFULL >>>NOT>>> to bend the fins
If you do bend fins...use a simple everyday COMB [[hair comb]] to straighten out bent fins ...!!!!GENTLY!!!!

put all back together. turn unit on

When was the last time the unit was serviced by a professional? Frodo's advise is sound, and if you have it serviced regularly the technician should be doing this.

A little bleach in the pan will help keep it clear, algae wants to grow in the pipes clogging them.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to pass it along to my friend and let her decide how she wants to proceed.

Back