Re: Bath Tub Shower Doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockrz

Reaction score
Well, the other night at about 2am I heard this crashing sound coming from me bathroom, and turns out one of the bath tub shower doors had decided to shatter into thousands of pieces. Good thing it was safety glass!

Anywho, I found a cheap replacement for $114 at Homes Debutt at
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Franklin...r-with-Hammered-Glass-SDKIT60-SIL-R/203906449

But, it's made out of glass or so the item description says.

Aren't these available in plastic fakeo glass somewhere?

Not sure why ours broke originally. It's in the bathroom where I wash my backside and I know I've never slammed the door or otherwise done anything to damage it. So, I'm not sure why it decided to shatter all of a sudden.

Anywho, seems like plastic would be safer and longer lasting so if anyone knows of a place wheres I can git one made of plastics, ya'll let me know.

Last edited:
Plastic may be hard to find becuz water stains it a lot easier than glass. I suppose some plastics are better than others. Shower curtain for now, no doubt. But glass may be better in the long run. How long were the doors hanging before it let go?

How long were the doors hanging before it let go?

They've always been hanging since that is how the tub doors were made :)

Actually, I do not know. I do know the walls around the tub are fake and not actual tile so I'd imagine at some point since the house was built someone did a re-bath thing

I guess I'll go with the cheap replacement. I would tell the landlord and let them pay for it, but they'd never believe me that it just broke on it's own so at least it won't be that expensive and it look like it's pretty easy to install.

I'll just make sure it plumb level and when I'm done I'll caulk the snot out of it.

The glass is tempered glass, When it does break it shatters into small peices, not the shards that would kill you. The glass is still your best bet

not the shards that would kill you

That's too bad... on the other hand I have no life insurance so it's not like that would make anybody happy or anything. :(

You know how it is with family... they'd be planning on what to spend the money on before they got your carcass out of the house!

Anywho, I might just put up a shower curtain and forget about it.

Glass tempering is just heating it and if it was heated to fast or cooled to fast it can have a built in tention that causes it to fail, you had the one in a thousand or something like that.
If you go with a curtain get a curved rod, you wouldn't beleive the difference that makes.

you had the one in a thousand or something like that

Lucky me! I guess this clears that up, cause I was wondering why it shattered.

Just curious; did the whole doorframe come down or was it just the glass that worked loose?

No, just the glass in one of the doors. The doors slide normally and they are not in a bind or anything.

Thanks, but I'd better go back with what was there otherwise the landlord might be a tad bit upset

Back