man's on to me

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
Wants to see inside any structural changes done without a peemit?
How much trouble am in?
attachment.php

I didn't cut the middle of that btw, it was previous owner.

Why does he want to see?

Does he have a plan of the original? If not how how does he know that is not original? As far as I am concerned they better have pictures or a plan to prove that is not how it came.

wait a minute here. slow down and splain . how does he know anything? have you applied for a permit?

he is just like a cop. you do not have to let him in to see anything. >>>IF<<< you have not applied for a permit.

he can not demand entry. to SEE if you have been building with out a permit. he has to have >>proof<< you have been building, BEFORE he gets a search order. it called probable cause

he is most likely acting on a tip from a nosey neighbor, who you pi$$ed off. they turned you in.

tell him the only building you have been doing is building a book case. or some such as that

no warrant--no inter. no search.

I complained about the neighbors shed being over the 4 feet. So based on that he notice i was doing some reno's. I was hoping he was going to help with shed issue, of course he did not. I assume he looked up through the windows. I email my lawyer and he said they could get a search warrant, which i find really f'up and bit scary.

I don't think it makes sense to fight him because it will probably end up in fine$. I will just have to deal with him nicely and fix what ever he says. Perhaps talk to a the local councilor.

I think 1) replacing collar ties and ceiling joists 2) the big space where the old owner stupidly cut main support 3) I removed the ceiling joists in that space because they weren't doing anything, no weight up there 4) he thinks i cut a roof joist when i put the sky lights in (which i didn't)
Might be the problems...
Over all he should be happy because i have removed the entire weight of the 1/2 story, about 2-3 tons. It is just a small sleeping area now, there are 10 jack posts in the basement too. Was planning to put in stud walls instead of the jackposts. I guess it won't be too bad. He says we can do a phone interview in the new year as long as i am complying. I told i my family is really upset that he is hassling us over the holidays. Obviously he's a bit d-bag.

The other problem might be the many other things such new stairs etc. I can't lie about these because it is all new wood, he's not stupid. I will try and cover a bunch up with dry wall in the new year.

If there is evidence of changed wiring or plumbing he can ask for the walls to be opened for inspection.
Measure the risers of your stairs, if there is no more of a difference of 1/4", they should be fine, He will call for hand railling of the stairs and upper deck, no mre than ? between pickets and code height.
For the structure he will likely ask for an engineers report. He will also look at thinks like firestopping, (drywall) around the inside of the skylights.
Actually all this is good as they do want you and your family to be safe in your house.

If you complained about your neighbor's shed, I doubt that it was the inspector just simply noticing you'd done some work. I bet that your neighbor knows more about your renovations than the inspector just noticed. People in glass houses.....
Looking at your photo, having the inspector take a walk through is probably a good idea. I just don't think you'll be too happy with what he tells you.
Depending on your local building codes, they could pull your certificate of occupancy and tell you you can't live there until it's permitted and inspected.

he has to have proof to get a search warrant. or probable cause.

he cannot search to get the probable cause.

WHY? were you complaining about your neighbors shed?

knock on his door, say. your shed is making me mad!!!!

1737-47c9f07f4f80ddddd2c51110db27b17a.jpg

Last edited:
" I just don't think you'll be too happy with what he tells you.
Depending on your local building codes, they could pull your certificate of occupancy and tell you you can't live there until it's permitted and inspected"

What is that suppose to mean?

If you complained about your neighbor's shed, I doubt that it was the inspector just simply noticing you'd done some work. I bet that your neighbor knows more about your renovations than the inspector just noticed. People in glass houses.....
Looking at your photo, having the inspector take a walk through is probably a good idea. I just don't think you'll be too happy with what he tells you.
Depending on your local building codes, they could pull your certificate of occupancy and tell you you can't live there until it's permitted and inspected.

exactly, you turned him in, he ratted you out.:rofl:

sounds like you too need to go behind the shed and have a hand to mouth conversation, sort this out. then have a beer and let it go

&quot; I just don't think you'll be too happy with what he tells you.
Depending on your local building codes, they could pull your certificate of occupancy and tell you you can't live there until it's permitted and inspected&quot;

What is that suppose to mean?

Just looking at your construction visible in the photo you have what looks like walls hanging in air. What's that covering the ceiling? The bottom line is, although I don't know where you are located, a building inspector could slap a cease and desist order on your property. Construction practices aren't based on the whims of the homeowner. It all boils down to life safety. Building departments do have a certain amount of authority. A search warrant isn't required. It's an inspection not a search.

"Just looking at your construction visible in the photo you have what looks like walls hanging in air"

wah?

I was curious, so i called the building department,

they do not need a warrant, they can inspect your residence if your neighbor has filed a claim/complaint your are doing work without a permit.
further more. if you do not let them in, and PO if inspector. he can, He HAS the authority to arrest you.
99% of them will just call the sheriff. because they never use that authority, but he has it

See what happens when you fight with your neighbor and you yourself aren't on the up and up?

That's why I don't fight with my neighbors.

&quot;Just looking at your construction visible in the photo you have what looks like walls hanging in air&quot;

wah?

In your photo at 6 o'clock, looks like a partial wall where the studs you see aren't supported. And again...what's covering the ceiling?

See what happens when you fight with your neighbor and you yourself aren't on the up and up?

It was just one of many problem with the house. Being 4 feet over my property and using my driveway is not something to ignore.

I wouldn't ignore either. Just stating when ruffling feathers its best to keep nosy people away.

A lot may depend on the previous homeowner and what they left you with....or how much you can convince the inspector of that. You'll still have to make it right, but he may not slam you so bad if he thinks it's a problem you inherited.

It was just one of many problem with the house. Being 4 feet over my property and using my driveway is not something to ignore.

Why didn't you knock on his door and talk to the man?

he might think its his land, if, after you talk to him. and he refuses to move the shed. have it hauled off. its your property,
same thing with his car in your driveway. call a wrecker
AFTER you have a conversation, not confrontation.

Back