Breaker, Breaker 19...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockrz

Reaction score
So, if you had a house built in the late 60 / early 70s.... would you replace all the breakers as a preventative maintenance measure?

I'm thinking it may be a good idea... you know, just because. I spent a lot of years in the automotive repair bidness and it's there that I learned sometimes it's better to replace things before they break down since they say an ounce of prevention is worth 14 tons of cure... er however that saying goes.

Also, I heard in the modern times in which we all be livin in... that they have breakers that are heat sensitive that will shut themselves down based on heat and not just overage im voltage or amps.

I had a maintenance guy at an apartment complex a few years ago tell me there was such a thing and these fancy newfangledy breakers were so safe they were considered to be "fail safe"

I like the idea of fail safe so if this sort of breaker exists, where can I find these bad boys?

So, if you had a house built in the late 60 / early 70s.... would you replace all the breakers as a preventative maintenance measure?

NO. My house was built 1958 and I am not even contemplating replacing the breakers.

However certain brands of breakers and panels are known to be problematic.

So these things last forever?

I thought over time and with an increase of power being put thru them (we use mo juice now days than back in tha day) stuff could go wrong and fires could be started and stuff.

Is this true, or is this something those in the biz say to get you to buy new stuff?

It might be a good idea to have couple spare kicking around especially if it is some old type that might be hard to find, but I wouldn't change them out.

As we all know nothing lasts forever. Instead of just going ahead and replacing all of the breakers, checking them from time to time would be good preventative maintenance. If you flip them into the OFF position and back ON, see if they still have a good "snap" when you flip them. Over time the spring load in the switch can deteriorate. If you can very easily just turn them OFF and ON, basically sliding them into those positions, that breaker is beginning to fail and should be replaced.

There is not way a home owner can test a breaker to see if it is still working properly.
Turning it off and on proves nothing.

I heard they have breakers that are heat sensitive that will shut themselves down based on heat and not just overage in voltage or amps.

I had a maintenance guy tell me there was such a thing as "fail safe" breakers.

Where can I find these at???

You have to start the hunt with the brand of breaker panel but heat is what makes all them work.

Do you have a commercial electrical supply house near you? They will know what's available and code compliant for your location. Stay away from the big box stores.

I heard they have breakers that are heat sensitive that will shut themselves down based on heat and not just overage in voltage or amps.

I had a maintenance guy tell me there was such a thing as "fail safe" breakers.

Where can I find these at???

So, if your service panel is on the sunny side of the building?

Current draw is a heat generator, ask anyone with a ZINSCO panel.

OK, I was hoping someone would have some specific brands / models to suggest.

I'm simply trying to see if there is some better technology available than 40 year old breakers that are in use now... I'm thinking there probably is, so maybe if I can find a board where electricians hang out I could learn more about what is available that is better and more safe.

Is there a talk forum out there for electricians anyone could recommend?

I think you might be looking for arc fault breaker. It's the old wires that have been bent and twisted over time. Like where they are at light fixtures or switches that have been changed, there you might get arcing.
You have to buy a breaker that fits the panel you have so you have to start with that brand . And yes I think you will find a forum.

I can change the entire panel out to accommodate breakers that utilize better, more safe technology if such a thing even exists.

Surely with modern technology they have come up with something that is more safe, right?

I can change the entire panel out to accommodate breakers that utilize better, more safe technology if such a thing even exists.

Surely with modern technology they have come up with something that is more safe, right?

Actually what you have now is about as good as it gets and while arcfault and gfi breakers are applied specifically.

You can find directed forums by using google.

There is not way a home owner can test a breaker to see if it is still working properly.
Turning it off and on proves nothing.

A homeowner can test the tension on the spring load by turning it on and off to determine if the breaker can mechanically trip.

If you consider turning them off and back on a test then I guess the home owner can test them. Doesn't prove much though.

Actually what you have now is about as good as it gets and while arcfault and gfi breakers are applied specifically.

Really?

In the past 40 years or so there have been no improvements for electrical breakers?

Not significantly that would make one want to change every breaker in the panel.

You sound like you can't be talked out it of so spend your money and upgrade everything.

You sound like you can't be talked out it of so spend your money and upgrade everything.

Not at all, I'm simply inquiring so I can stay on top of whether there is new technology or not...

Since everything else get's better as technology gets better, I had to ask and see if any advances in breaker technology has been made in the past 40 years or not.

It's interesting that not much has changed. An internet search I tried turned up no info worth a damn.
But what about this very quiet buzz about DC wiring throughout the house??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back