Drywall Metal Corner Bead

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I am about to replace many sections of drywall, but after removing the damaged/old drywall and making it square and with proper support I found out nailed metallic corner beads at every corner and even surrounding windows jambs as shown below:

27146538134_fdeafbabe4_z.jpg

I have tried to pull out all of nails, etc, but in this case it seems that the corner bead was folded inside the windows jambs or extension jambs as depicted below:

27146538184_30ffc95091_z.jpg

751527146538224_88040657f6_z.jpg

In other situations there is corner bead present and I don't want to damage the drywall on the other side of the corner but it seems rather difficult to the pull out the nails from both side without damaging both sides and thus having to replace or patch more drywall than intended.

27146538244_4fe356cc7e_z.jpg

Thanks for any insights

The windows were trimmed with drywall before the wood was installed. If you run a box cutter along side the stud and scribe a line and then flex the metal it will break on that line.
Not sure how to deal with the other corners.

Last edited:
The windows were trimmed with drywall before the wood was installed. If you run a box cutter along side the stud and scribe a line and then flex the metal it will break on that line.
Not sure how to deal with the other corners.

I will give it a try, but it seems that this metal bead corner thing is rather thick. I saw some in store that is thinner and flimsier though. thks!

I would guess that the windows are in-frame change outs, so cut the metal like neal suggested, then the drywall to flush with the framing and install a milcore or the metal shown on this face page;https://www.google.com/search?q=dry...ei=lDVrV_AfysSPBJ-hroAI#imgrc=uwM3yXUr5RAd8M:

Another alternative is Fast Mask and non of these can be found at a big box, just a drywall vendor or;http://www.thebluebook.com

Yeah, the windows are relatively new: they probably were changed back in 2010. If the utility knife does not work I will try an angle grinder or maybe an oscillating tool.

Can't it be replaced with a straight strip of metal as well ?

thks

Last edited:
It can, however, in doing so you depend upon your ability to maintain a a strait mud line, while the moulding describes that for you.

Yeah, the windows are relatively new: they probably were changed back in 2010. If the utility knife does not work I will try an angle grinder or maybe an oscillating tool.

Can't it be replaced with a straight strip of metal as well ?

thks

If you are going to trim out the window you don't need any metal.

After quite a bit of dust – mostly from the grinding metal cutting disk – I got the metallic beads cuted out.
28033526256_7986bec656_c.jpg

I was not sure whether or not an interior window trim was going to be used, maybe it will add some character tot he room; so the window trim implies no need to a metal strip there.

But due to the addition of ¾ rigid insulation on the walls I would need to add an extension jamb. In the past I made some extension jamb for an exterior window made out of vinyl trim, the following:

27166596324_c9d82e8754_c.jpg

would something like that suffice as an extension jamb (of course using the proper dimentions and size). I happen to have some pine remaining from a door that I trimmed out and it could be cut to size to make an extension jamb out of it.

Thks!

Latest posts

Back