2-pole 100 amp circuit breaker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taz

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2-pole 100 amp circuit breaker in my panel that is not labeled, what could this possibly be for? I know that my dryer and range oven and microwave are separate breakers. Must be for AC unit, how many breakers does AC take? I have other high amp 2 poles that are not labeled.

Welcome.

Is it a service panel like neal posted or is the meter part of the panel?

In noticing where you are from, the meter will be part of the panel.

Can you remove the dead front panel, on the panel, it will be 1 or 2 screws or a lever, to expose the interior and post a photo?

The house was built in 1979, the Byrant panel has no shutoff switch, so that could be. The 100 amp is the one with duct tape on it, which worries me not knowing what the previous owners did.

Attachments

• IMG_20180901_183012.jpg
    IMG_20180901_183012.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 28
Thanks. It could very well be the main.

You can shut it off, and you will know, or you can move the looped conductors out of the way and if those connected to that breaker go thru the wall into the side the meter is on, it's the main.

The panel is rated for 120 Amps, should I upgrade these to 120 A breakers?

Because the main was duct tape, there is an indication that there has been a sever power draw in the past.

You can replace the 100Amp, with a max. 120Amp.

I would also label all the breakers.

The "main" wires are significantly bigger than the other wires in the panel, so you may be able to tell just by looking closely. If it is not the main, it could be a feed to a sub-panel somewhere else in the house.

the wire coming or going to 100 amp breakers would likely be the same size, changing the breakers would require checking the wire size.

The panel is rated for 120 Amps, should I upgrade these to 120 A breakers?
The panel is rated for a MAXIMUM of 120 amps. Assuming that the service cable is correctly sized, a 100 amp main breaker is fine.

The duct tape appears to just be covering the lugs for shock protection.

Hi, I have a 2-pole 100 amp circuit breaker in my panel that is not labeled, what could this possibly be for? I know that my dryer and range oven and microwave are separate breakers. Must be for AC unit, how many breakers does AC take? I have other high amp 2 poles that are not labeled.

Turn it off . If all the other Circuit Breakers go dead , it is the main for the panel .

Wyr
God bless

Back