2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l Preventive Maint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
Bought this car a few weeks ago , with 37,000 + miles on the odometer , which pretty much agrees with the CarFax .

I would say in maybe 90% condition .

Age is one of the enemies of plastic & rubber . Replaced both radiator hoses & both heater hoses . ( Have I mentioned I hate spring metal hose clamps ? )

With the coolant mostly drained out , replaced it with new Dexcool , & burped the air from the cooling system .

Looking on the internet , I discovered there are 2 plastic coolant / heater elbows , prone to failure . Turns out mine were in pretty good shape . Replaced them with metal elbows .

Serpentine belt & engine air filter looked good , now I have a spare . Bought a cabin air filter , but have not checked it , yet .

Using turkey baster method to service brake fluid & Power Steering fluid . ( PS pump is under the alternator , kind of . :-( )

The dealer changed the oil / filter . Bought oil and 1 filter ( Walmart ) . Plan to order several filters from RockAuto.com .

Servicing the transmission is next down the line .

Tires are good , brakes seem good . A/C seems to be good . Stereo good , takes CD's but probably not MP3's ( I like audio books ) .

Replaced the 2 hood supports / struts .

So far , we like the Buick .

Wyr
God bless

Buicks were really good cars. Sounds like you found a keeper.

Thanks for reminding me I also need to do some belt and hose replacement.

I certainly hope it turns out to be a good car . :)

We had been looking at 2014 - 2016 Ford Fusions . A fusion with equivalent miles ( although 8 - 10 model years newer ) was easily 2 to 2-1/2 times more money .

I told my wife , at least if it turns out to have some problems , we do not have nearly as much money invested in the Lacrosse .

All in all , I have not spent a lot of money on preventive maintenance . Hope it will head off several items for quite a few years .

As I get older , I am less able to work on cars .

Thanks for the kind words . :)

God bless
Wyr

Back