240v electrical line question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrendanDon

Reaction score
Hello, I am in the process of researching my process for replacing my house’s current Gas water heater with a new Heat pump water heater. I’m specifically interested in a 240V model (More efficient) and as luck would have it, one of the lines off the fuse box is a 240V line going to an old in wall over that hasn’t really worked in years. It even has a junction box just before going up from the cellar.

So to power the new heater, I’ll disconnect the power from the broken oven and run a new line from the junction to the water heater. My question is, should I just run straight to the water heater, or should I add a shut off switch to supplement the option of shutting off from the fuse box?

Thanks.

BrendanDon:

There is more to consider in your question before a constructive answer can be given to you.

A bit more detail is needed in order for us to guide you properly.

Just because the heater would be 240v and the old oven was 240v does not mean that the new heater will be able to be connected to the existing old oven circuit.

What we need to know are three things first:
#1 - what is the old oven circuit made up of? What is the breaker amp rated and what gauge conductors are feeding it?
#2 - What is the power requirement of the new heater - not just that it is 240v, we need to know either the Kilawatts or the amps it will pull? - If youhave not purchased it yet can you give us the brand/model #.
#3 - One other thing that may need to be considered is your available capacity of your overall service. 100amp, 200amp etc? We need to know this in order for usto see if you will need to do a load calculation in order to see if your present service will handle the new heat pump.

Once you respond to theabove questions we will be able to give you more advice that is safe and to code.

If the electrical panel is within site of the water heater then no shut off needed. Just turn off the breaker.

Back