A question about installing a furniture hole cover.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigk

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to install a furniture hole cover to get some wires through a finished countertop.

I'm looking into drilling a hole and installing one of these. (Already bought a 2 1/2 hole saw for my drill.)

Before I start drilling the hole, is there anything I need to be aware of? Prep for? Will it chip while drilling? See picture attached.

20231203_182957.jpg

Generally, it's speed and the teeth design that determine that.

I've used STARRETTS for decades and in wood I use medium to high speed.

It will chip on exit, but that normally isn't a concern.
The top edge should be reasonably clean.

My experience with hole saws cutting thru thick material is that they are easy to be chip bound and requite frequent stopping and clearing the chips/dust with a shop vac. They will produce a fair amount of heat with the friction also. I find the best method of drilling is keep the drill square to the surface and while cutting orbit the drill ever so slightly around the center. Depending on the tool you bought you may not have the depth to make it all the way thru and it is also a good idea to stop before breaking thru by say a half inch or when ever the center pilot drill breaks thru and then finish by cutting from the back side. In your case you may have to pull out a couple drawers or even remove the top.

Back