All Season Room Exterior Wall (sheathing, insulation, most barrier, siding)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
Not a long time ago I started some threads about the EPDM flat roof repair done at an all season room addition to the house I purchased not a long ago. Among working and many other things being done at the house, things tend to go at a very low pace. To make things worse the recent wintry winter spell is making anything outside very unpractical to say the least.

But, I have at some time intervals started some things. Firstly, motivated by the fact that the I needed to change the wall sheathing behind the spot whereon the electrical circuit breaker box is supposed to reside in the all season room. Originally the wall sheathing was made of some type of rigid brown cardboard which I replaced with 1/2 plywood sheathing at that spot only, to top off the sheathing I added house wrap (probably unbeknownst when the thing was firstly built) and some 1/2 pink rigid insulation sheet (R value 3.0). As shown below:

15973451966_2d8084cc63_c.jpg

A pic show a more broad view:

15973451956_c16a6ba1ea_c.jpg

It is not showing above (was mostly a test dry fitting), but there is house wrap between the insulation and final wood siding as shown below:

15379396903_83c14607b5_c.jpg

Some of the cuts were not perfect so I needed more beads of caulking in certain gaps which I then used fiber glass insulation to hold the caulking in place.

The inside, on the other hand, is the spot whereon the the elect panel will reside. I realize that elect circuit breaker need some air circulation to avert any possible build up of heat due to bad connections/contacts, etc, so there will be nothing like fiber glass insulation there. Nonetheless a rigid insulation sheet should not be an issue, so I used EPS insulation there:

15512666624_5c3d2b5860_c.jpg

I am not any expert on such matters, so any ideas, suggestions, and changes would be appreciated!

Got a real mess there.
Not sure where your getting your info, a panel box does not produce any heat and does not need any clearance.
In your area at least R-19 is called for in a wall.
Not sure what that rats nest of wires in outside, looks like a meter base on one wall and an old frayed main line to a panel that should have been run in conduit with an LB through the wall.
Brick moulding should have been installed around the door before the siding went up.
What's that PVC pipe full of wire sticking up outside?

Got a real mess there.
Not sure where your getting your info, a panel box does not produce any heat and does not need any clearance.
In your area at least R-19 is called for in a wall.
Not sure what that rats nest of wires in outside, looks like a meter base on one wall and an old frayed main line to a panel that should have been run in conduit with an LB through the wall.
Brick moulding should have been installed around the door before the siding went up.
What's that PVC pipe full of wire sticking up outside?

I and the house shown on the pics are not really in Lansing, MI, but in Columbus, OH. My primary residence is Lansing though.

And whilst a thicker insulation would be better, if you consider that there was nothing there before it is a huge improvement, also I will add insulation to the interior walls. On top of that a higher value insulation would make the siding protrude out too much.

Some of the brick molding was bad, and I also had to remove some of the brick molding in order to remove the old sheathing. But I installed new bricking molding (it may not be shown in some of the pics when doing the dry fitting)

I heard that in some places code does not allow for fiber glass insulation around the circ breaker panel given that it would hamper ventilation inside the panel, so I went ahead and installed rigid insulation which then would be at the back of the panel and not surrounding it.

The pvc pipe coming up from the ground is the underground wire which goes to the garage.

tks!

Last edited:
Back