Any little tykes having trouble learning to ride a bike?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nestor_Kelebay

Emperor Penguin
Reaction score
Does anyone in here know of any 3 or 4 year olds that are having a tough time learning to ride a bicycle?

There's a new product on the market called the "Gyrowheel". It's a gyroscope built into a small bicycle wheel that runs off a rechargeable battery and costs $75. The gyroscope helps to keep the front wheel vertical, and that helps the whole bike stay vertical, and that helps the child learn how to ride it. It has three speed settings, so as the child becomes more comfortable riding the bicycle, the gyroscope speed can be turned down so that it provides less stabilizing force, and the child has to rely more on his/her own balance to ride the bicycle successfully. On it's highest speed setting, the gyrowheel can be stood on edge, and will remain vertical even if bumped or turned. Because the gyroscope keeps the bicycle upright, children can learn how to ride a bicycle within a few minutes with the gyrowheel installed.

http://www.thegyrobike.com/

Gyrowheel to keep new bike riders upright (w/ Video)

I can see that a lot of people would feel that the Gyrowheel only fits SMALL bicycles, and the child would grow out of a small bicycle quickly. However, the other side of the coin is that a small bicycle fitted with the gyrowheel would sell easily because, unlike a new bicycle, a used bicycle fitted with the gyrowheel could be riden by the child almost immediately. And, the cost of buying and installing training wheels for a childs bike would help offset the cost of the gyrowheel.

They featured the gyrowheel on an edition of the Daily Planet, which is a Canadian version of your "Discovery Channel". The parents of the children who rode on bicycles that were fitted with the gyrowheel were amazed that their children were able to ride the bikes as quickly as they did. The parents all said that their children's bicycles had training wheels and the child could not ride the bike without the training wheels on. Those same children were able to ride bikes fitted with the Gyrowheel within a few minutes of trying.

Last edited:
In a few years, I may want one of these for my walker or wheelchair. :p

My daughter will be that age soon nestor. Cool product thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Back