Barn Door for Powder Room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juneb1022

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have been working on my powder room way too long with procrastination. Now I want to finish it so I can move on. My downstairs powder room is a 25 square feet, with a new floor, new wall tile, new toilet, vanity and sink and hardware. All done by me. The powder room doorway leads to a hallway. I think a sliding solid dark wood door would save space and look much nicer hanging on hardware. A normal door when it swings open inside the powder room takes up too much space in a small room. Other than Lowes and Home Depot, which I don't think they have these types of doors, where else do you buy a sliding barn door?

Thanks,
June

My Home Depot now carries the barn door hardware in stock. There is something cool about these neat doors!

My Home Depot now carries the barn door hardware in stock. There is something cool about these neat doors!

leave it to Havasu, to get all giggly and excited about a door !

shows your artistic side.:clap::clap::clap:

Depending on layout, that does not sound small for a powder room with a swing in door. You might consider noise privicy and the abbility to lock the door.
I guess it is to late to suggest a pocket door.
That said if you are going with a barn door, find something that looks like a barn door and there is nice hardware on the market for them.

And welcome to the site.

Hey thanks! I think I made a mistake. The width of the door opening is 32". Facing the door to the left there is a wall and no room for a barn door to slide to the left. To the right there is room for it to slide but not enough room, only 30". Now I have to think of something else. Perhaps a bi-fold door?

Maybe I missunderstude. I thought you ment that it was rough framed to 32". Is there a door jam there now?

Silly me..I have the old yucky door, it measures 31 3/4 wide.

A sliding door will over-hang the opening by 1 /34 in when fully opened as much as it could be. I think it wouldn't look right, or maybe it would? What are other door options other than a normal door on hinges and a sliding barn door?

Last edited:
I think your best bet would be a 30" or 28" pocket door. If you don't want to reframe the existing opening for it, just mount the frame against the wall. You'll just have a wider threshold by about 4", which is the frame and one side of drywall and you could trim out the entry nicely.

As beachguy said you could frame out for a pocket door, or if the wall is non-bearing the pocket door could be installed in the existing wall, either way the frame out will want to be 58" for a 28" door or 62 inches for a 30" door

Ok Im not sure exactly what a pocket door is, thank you guys for the information. I will look into your suggestions. But I really LOVE a barn door. I see them more and more in home magazines, I think it really fits perfect in a country looking home.

A pocket door is a sliding door that goes inside the wall. If you have room for a pocket door you should have room for a barn door.

For those who don't know from a pocket doors I thought I would drop this off.
If you like barn doors for the look, then that is what you should do.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Ee6pbXABM[/ame]

Ok Im not sure exactly what a pocket door is, thank you guys for the information. I will look into your suggestions. But I really LOVE a barn door. I see them more and more in home magazines, I think it really fits perfect in a country looking home.

Home magazines (and HGTV) are more about style than functionality. It reminds of my wife's girlfriend who had a bathroom door that was half-louvered. Fine for ventilation but awkward noises often escaped.:eek:

Trends change a lot. My uncle was a fine home builder and over the years built his wife some beautiful homes. The last was really quite a masterpiece at least to me as a young guy I admired his attention to detail. The trim work in the house was all oak he milled himself out of wood he cut in his woods and dried in his kiln. The joinery was so perfect and he matched grains and the whole 9 yards. Well in the 80’s the country thing hit and she was all into hanging baskets on the walls and distressed wood and I went over to see them and I was shocked to see all the trim in the house replaced with barn boards that looked to be hacked out. It looked ok if that was your thing but I was in love with the furniture grade look to the stuff that was gone. He saw I was in shock and he said come with me and showed me he had it all labeled and safely stored and said I give her two years and she will want to go back or change to something else. He said I can have it all back in a day.
He subscribed to the saying “Happy wife happy life.”

Go for the look you like and don’t get too hung up on how permeant something might be. I learned on this last house I did that if you want a window over there or another door here its less work to just do it than to wonder if you should or not.

Personally, I'd consider having the door open outward if there is enough room. Another option is an accordion door.
1-Beautiful-door.jpg

but it is pretty damn ugly.

The bifold is another option (as you mentioned) and there are ways to lock those. You can get one that looks like a barn door.
DSC_1851.JPG

Think I'm going to lean towards a barn door in bifold, now I need to find one.

Actually a door opening outward is better. Had to think about it overnight. A nice solid wood. The opening measures 32 x 6' 8.5".

Latest posts

Back