Basement Window Hardware

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhumiston

Reaction score
A few months ago I started the ambitious task of restoring the basement windows in my 1934 home. One of the previous owners really did a number on them, they were nailed shut with 3 inch nails, some were boarded over and all of them had water damage. After months of sanding and filling they are looking pretty good and I'm ready to glaze/replace the glass, but I've hit a roadblock. If I have to use a router to add the hinges I don't want to do that with the delicate glass installed. I can't find any information on what the original hardware would have been, in particular the hinges. When we got the house they were top hinged with t-strap hinges and had a 3 inch barrel bolt on the bottom corner, but I have no idea if this was the original configuration. There were also mystery eye hooks in the buck of one, a hook on another with nowhere visible to latch to. I could just replace what was on there before, but I'm curious how they might have been held open. Looking at different hinge/window stay options has been a trial due to conflicting terminology. They should be hopper windows because of placement and the fact that they open inward, but they hinge at the top like awning windows. I'd like to be able to hold them open, but my head is spinning trying to find obscure info on antique basement window design and I'm about to give up and just use regular butt hinges and a stick to hold it open. Does anyone have any experience with what is the appropriate hardware or even memories of how basement windows were propped open without a stay? Thanks in advance!20220521_001647.jpg20220917_092310.jpg

Latest posts

Back