building next to trees

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
Some day we would like to put a garage on our property. Due to the weird layout of our property we are kind of limited to two places to put it, and both are pretty close to some large trees. I want to keep as many of these old trees on our property as I can how close can I build to a tree without affecting it?

We get the city tree guy to come out and stake the protection line. Then houses are planned and designed around that. Then shortly after moving in the home owners apply for a permit to cut it down.

I don't understand why people would want to get rid of trees. When we were able to buy our first house I wanted one with trees.

It's an option. I won't build within 10' of a tree trunk.

I sketched up the property layout. I was thinking the ideal spot would be under the compass up against the neighbors fence facing north. Most of the trees are maples 30'-40' tall. I think a 30' x 20' would be ideal for what we need, and I have been looking at pole buildings too. I would like a cement slab, but if I can get crushed packed down hard enough to roll jacks and engine lifts on it I'll be happy.HOUSE.jpg side of house.jpg

Is there a city ordinance restricting zero lot line const. and outlining the work-arounds for that?

I don't understand why people would want to get rid of trees. When we were able to buy our first house I wanted one with trees.

Here tall pines that were growing in a forest before the land was developed are common. In an ice storm or hurricane, these trees will break and can fall on your house. Sweetgum trees are very common here as well if it is a female tree it drops little spikey balls that are a pain to clean up. Trees that were in a forest make very poor yard trees because they count on their neighboring trees for support, they don't have the same root structure as a tree that was grown in the middle of a yard. They also tend not to have much of a canopy since they are competing for sunlight in a crowd, they grow tall, straight with a limited number of branches. If you can leave a large clump of them they will generally do OK, but if they leave a lone tall tree it just becomes a lightning rod. We had a house fire in our neighborhood when a lone pine tree was struck by lightning and it jumped into the nearby house. Also, when building, if they dig too close to the trees they may die due to root loss. I lost a couple of the trees they left in my yard when they built because the sewer trench took out too many roots.

As a general rule, the roots of a tree spread about as far as the tree canopy. Maple roots don't go very deep, oak trees have a deep tap root. Up here, most insurance companies will raise your rate if there is a tree within ten feet of your home (not sure about out-buildings).
If you have some idea of the age of the tree/trees, consider that also. Older trees are more impressive but will die sooner rather than later.

have you given any thought to understory trees or shrubs around your foundation? understory trees are things like crepe myrtles and even some smaller dogwoods.
it would be terrible if you planted a tree that grows large and in 10-20 years you had to remove it because the roots are giving your foundation problems.
here is just one link about understory trees and some options: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/shgen/understory-planting-tips.htm
your best bet for getting good plants for your area is to find some local plant nurseries. i don't recommend big box stores. most people that work there don't have a clue.
i know a lot about plants but with nursery people - thats their business!
fyi, what ever you plant, read the tree/plant width, divide that in half and thats how far you need to plant it. nothing worse than seeing a plant jamming itself on the
house because the owners never thought of future growth.

Back