Cast Iron Bath Tub has rust and hole around drain

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I have just joined this forum, and thanks to all the posters for your suggestions. Will be going to Lowe's or Home Depot to buy some Fast Steel tomorrow. For an emergency, as some of you seem to be having water leaking to downstairs areas beneath your tubs, fill the rusty spots with plumbers' putty. It is not pretty, but it will stop the holes until you can do better.

Our steel tub also has rust down the middle and on the drain. We don't want to sink a lot of money into repairing it, as we don't plan to be in this house much longer. My question may seem somewhat silly, but I'll ask it anyway :eek: What about using one of those "bath refitter" companies? I know that doesn't eliminate the problem, but the tub definitely looks better. Is it safe to refit a tub with rust?

what the heck this sucks. I cant figure it out. Someone please help. Any advise?

Last edited:
I read with interest the discussion about refinishing bathtubs.
I have a cast iron tub (2 professionals have confirmed that is what it is.) that has areas of rust penetrating the material. I don't think they go all the way through. I want the best long term solution (not just cosmetic nor short term.) Will reglazing by someone in the business (not DIY) or a new steel tub be better?

I would go with a new steel tub, but maybe I am just feeling lazy today. ;)

Wow, we just took out our tub that was rusted and there was a leak that caused it. The tub near the drain is completely rusted out and there is a big hole. What a mess, thank goodness someone is assisting in this nightmere. Total cost for new tub and surround is going to be approximately $1600.

Hello
We have a cast iron tub that had a little rust around the draining hole. I tried to fix it by using wire-brush/sandpaper and sealed it with porcelain touch-up glaze. But after 4 month the thin rusty line showed up again:-(
Any suggestions how to fix the problem.
Thanx,
Attila

I had a similar problem in my steel tub. The tub itself around the drain was rusted all the way through. I took out the drain, broke off most of the really bad rust, and got some moldable steel putty. (Not sure of the name, but it came like a fat crayon, bought it at Ace hardware). It says you can use this stuff to repair engine parts! I formed this underneath the tub, pressing it tight against the existing opening and shaping it. After a few hours, it was solid as steel, and I just painted over it with some of that porcelain touchup paint and it looks good as new. I put back in a new drain with fresh rubber gasket and it works great. It's been a little over a year and still holding up, but I know there's still rust under there, as I can see a little bit of rust stain coming through the porcelain paint, but for now it's still strong. Had I known how good this steel putty was, I'd have done a better job removing the rust beforehand.
uhh I think you're refering to JB weld?? Good stuff, I do think you helped me with the same problem I have too!!

uhh I think you're refering to JB weld?? Good stuff, I do think you helped me with the same problem I have too!!

Latest posts

Back