Changing up the back yard.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like the broom finish. Lots of good traction for little feet.

Yeah it just has a lot of flaws. I used a buddies finish guys and won't do that again.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1407633128.434377.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Repair1407633160.443004.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Repair1407633180.999874.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Repair1407633203.393742.jpg

Really nice place for me to lay down after consuming too much beer from your tapper.

Ok here is a tidbit of info on my research of my fake lawn.

I asked how hot it gets in the sun and I was told a little hotter than real grass.

Yesterday when I was installing it I had to wear knee pads for the heat.

Today I busted out my infrared thermometer to give it a check. First I went around my house to verify it was working right, here are the temps I got.

73.7 - living room floor
65.3 - ac vent while on
83.3 - double pane window on inside
91.7 - double pane window outside
90.8 - patio floor in shade
93.2 - outside thermometer which is reading 98
91.4 - bar wood deck in shade
127.4 new concrete patio in sun
174.2 new fake lawn in several locations

How do they expect children to play on this stuff?

174.2 new fake lawn in several locations

Please tell me this is a typo???:hide:

Maybe it is time to invest in those triangular shade sail covers for the fake grass area? I saw them at Costco for ~$80 a piece last week.

Last edited:
Not a typo, I couldn't walk on it barefoot and it felt good to get back on the 120 degree concrete.

Maybe. By the afternoon breeze it is much better. I guess we just don't go out there in 100 degree heat.

Maybe they think you are going to water it.
You didn't find some real grass to check. This will not help your ac bill.

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/cooling-solutions-trending-in-synthetic-turf-industry.html

It seems to be a big problem with lots of discussion on line. The turf being a dark color absorbs a lot of heat and the packed infill retains heat. The solution it seems is evaporation just as in real lawns.

The article linked above seems quite logical they are eliminating the stone infill and using a cork product that retains moisture better and allows evaporation you still would need to water the turf some.

I also saw the crumb rubber used on top of the turf when heated very hot like yours can break down and pose a health risk for children and they are suggesting a cork fill product there as well.

As I sit on my back patio I realize how much I love what I have done with the yard. We actually use it too. The baby loves the fake lawn (when it's not 170 degrees). Didn't think I would like the grass but with so much other life in all my planters it is an even balance. I like it!

You might not we worried about water there but I would jack it up and slide treated wood under every 2 ft opposit direction to the joists.

Well it should have.

Back