Cleaning air ducts after a fire?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellbound

Reaction score
I live in S. California where the wildfires were back in November. My house is OK, though many houses on my street burned to the ground, and my backyard burned. The house had lots of smoke and who knows what in it, though it seems better now. We have not lived in it since November. The insurance company is finally going to have my house cleaned and I want the HVAC cleaned also. I have read conflicting info regarding cleaning the HVAC after a fire. The house is about 4,200 sq ft and there are two units one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Upstairs has the ducts in the walls, downstairs has the ducts in the concrete and the vents are in the ground.

1. Can the ducts in a house be effectively cleaned in a house after being exposed to smoke from a fire OR do they need to be replaced?

2. What do I need to ask about or look into to determine if they can be effectively cleaned? The insurance company is going to do its best to just say they cleaned it and leave it at that. I read that some ducts have some kind of fabric in them, and if the ducts do, then they can not be cleaned? Is this the case or is there more to it?

Thanks.

My advise, you contact professionals in your area who specialize in duct cleaning and get their opinion. Don't rely on contractors pushed on you by your insurance carrier...just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back