Concrete Caulk/Sealant/Epoxy Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianeS

Reaction score
There are so many concrete products out there I'm really confused about which one to use where. I have three things I need to do:

1. Seal around the foundation of my house (brick) between the house and the driveway (concrete).
  2. Seal in between the expansion gaps in my driveway.
  3. Fill in several small cracks in the driveway.

I was getting some caulk the other day and found this in the caulk aisle so I picked it up thinking it's what I should use to seal around the foundation:

Caulk.jpg
After getting home, I was looking online and saw there are other sealants that are in the concrete aisle as opposed to the caulk aisle like this:

Screenshot 2023-04-13 211906.png

Then there are these big tubs of concrete patch like this one:

Screenshot 2023-04-13 212334.png

And finally, there are two-part epoxies.

At this point I'm thoroughly confused! What exactly is each of these products for? What do I need to get for 3 projects I have?

Were it I, I would use an elastomeric product because dissimilar products expand and contract at different rates, so this is the item I've used extensively, and for you brick too concrete, would apply; Sikaflex® Construction Sealant

As for the expansion joints, do they close tightly against the product now in place, in the heat of the summer?

My method is to "V" the cracks, slightly and then use the SIKA product topped with some fine granular sand.

Were it I, I would use an elastomeric product because dissimilar products expand and contract at different rates, so this is the item I've used extensively, and for you brick too concrete, would apply; Sikaflex® Construction Sealant

As for the expansion joints, do they close tightly against the product now in place, in the heat of the summer?

My method is to "V" the cracks, slightly and then use the SIKA product topped with some fine granular sand.
Thanks for your reply! Snoonyb, I'm starting to think you are an expert on just about everything!

For the expansion joints, there is nothing there now except for dirt and weeds. I bought this house a couple of years ago and there was nothing there when I moved in.

What is the purpose of topping the SIKA with some sand? Also, should I use the same product to fill the cracks that are in the driveway too, or something else? I'm wondering if the stuff that comes in the buckets is better for cracks and chips. Lastly, do you happen to know what is the difference between all those products I posted? I couldn't believe how many different ones I found. So confusing!

EXPERT;
X=UNKNOWN
SPERT=A DRIP UNDER PRESSURE

Originally, the most common product was a 1/2" X 4" felt placed in the joint at pour, however a search of "expansion join products", reveals a myriad of choices. I would dig the joint out, clean, to at least the depth of the product selected, unless you decide on a caulk product where the depth could be limited to 1 too 1-1/2", and then the sand finish.

The fine sand which can be found at hobby or craft merchants are use for graining and color, and the cracks are what I was addressing, with the "V" comment.

I've used the 1st product for repointing because of the color match and the texture. The tried the SIKA, 1 time, and was dissatisfied, because I learned long ago, the value in knowing how to tool a product and instead of the 3rd, I use an entirely different process.

Back