Connected a separate ground wire for old 2 wire system-still getting "Open Ground" reading

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vyacheslav

Reaction score
Greetings!

It's me again! I added some newer Romex to some old two wire original wiring (house built in 1950). Because the two wire system does not have a grounding wire, I added one. When I was installing new outlet boxes, I drilled into the side of a wooden stud. I attached a metal fender washer (against the wood when tight), then the grounding wire, then the head of the metal screw. Everything is tight and the "loop" on the grounding wire is tight and is pressed firmly against the metal Fender washer and the head of the metal screw.

I ran the newer Romex off the old original wire and I went black to black, white to white and I connected the grounding wire on the new Romex to the ground wire that is screwed into the wooden stud (between two metal objects). I know that I've hooked up everything correctly. I'm still getting an "Open Ground" reading on my outlet tester. Anyone know what the cause might be?

Thanks,

V

I ran the newer Romex off the old original wire and I went black to black, white to white and I connected the grounding wire on the new Romex to the ground wire that is screwed into the wooden stud (between two metal objects).
This method will not give you a "ground". Connecting a ground wire to two pieces of metal of which neither is grounded such as the washers does nothing in this case.

Back