creosote

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblegummom

Reaction score
I guess creosote use is against the law, at least in this area, although it is still used on railroad ties. Is there another wood preservative that works as well as creosote?

Thank you.

Loretta

Can you describe the application?

Borate based wood preservatives are very effective, but they're water soluble so they can't be used wherever they would be washed away.

Well, you see, our front porch roof is being supported by two railroad ties. About 20 years ago one started to rot at the bottom and needed to be changed, so my husband just went up to the neighborhood lumberyard and picked up a new one.

Now the other one is rotting and I have been trying to find a replacement and they don't seem to be so easy to find anymore. So far all we have found are ones that are not in good enough shape to use, but I have been given a suggestion of a place they might have them and am hopeful.

Meanwhile, creosote is supposed to be really bad; also in case I can't find a railroad tie that will work and have to get a substitute of some kind, I wonder if the substitute would be as long lasting as the railroad ties with creosote have been.

Thank you.

Loretta

Loretta:

You may be able to "make" a railway tie out of pressure treated lumber. Be aware that only the outside of the lumber is resistant to rot, but you can treat any holes you drill or cuts you make with end cut preservative.

You should also be aware that when you treat dry wood with end cut preservative, the preservative will be absorbed into the wood. If you then allow plenty of time for the solvent carrier fluid of that end cut preservative to evaporate out of the wood, then the wood will accept more end cut preservative. By successively treating the wood with end cut preservative and then allowing time for the mineral spirits to evaporate leaving the wood dry again, and treating again, you can build up the concentration of preservative in the wood.

This application wouldn't be suitable for borate based wood preservatives because they are very soluble in water. If the lumber is in contact with the ground, then the concentration of borates in the wood will be depleted as the borates dissolve in the moist ground.

Thank you very much for the information! I've copied and pasted it into a document for later referral. I think I'm just about to give up on actual railroad ties.

Latest posts

Back