Critter chewing rubber boot on membrane roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbutts

Reaction score
For the second time in about 12 months something has chewed the rubber boot on the stack in our membrane roof. Any advice about an alternative fix?
Note that we purchased this house about 18 months ago. The membrane roof was installed on a low pitch section of the roof - most is conventional shingle. Advice on the right long term roofing material is also welcome. The membrane itself (.06 fully adhered EPDM) seems to be in good shape, and our home inspector felt it had a decent life left.
Thanks!
IMG_4714 copy.JPG

Last edited:
That may be from a "critter", but unless you've see it, and given the sun exposure, I would 1st suspect the effects of the sun.

I would replace the neoprene and fashion a cone from hardware cloth and/or sheet metal that would limit access.

Wow - quick reply. Would the sun do damage that quickly? The boot was replaced 12 months ago.
If we went with what you suggest, how would you attach it to the membrane?

The membrane actually appears to have been wiped or pasted with hot roofing material, which would cause it to become weakened.

The hardware cloth is fairly easy to form, the sheet metal will take a bit more engineering, but is still a DIY project, and they would both attach with a hose clamp similar to the one on the stack.

Not based on the repair invoice and materials receipt. The boot was a "peel and stick pipe boot EDPM witches hat". I understood EDPM to be pretty durable. The invoice specified rubber roof cleaner, liquid roof prep, and EDPM caulking.

Would you use caulk to attach your suggestion to the roof membrane?

Interesting, but from my experience, not what I see.

Neither EPDM or neoprene are a widely appetizing products.

I would remove the flashing boot and replace with one of these; vent flashing boots, and use some wet patch at its base and too seal it to the stand pipe.

I'd bet a squirrel. They chew some weird stuff. If you replace the boot maybe get a hunk of screen material and sort of wrap around the boot then a hose clamp around the pipe to hold it in place. That would probably deter them enough.

Squirrels and raccoons look for places to get into a roof or attic for shelter, or to have babies.
They will chew or claw a test hole to see if there is a void they could access, to make a home past that barrier.

Back