Crown Molding cut! Won’t fit!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlosReyes82

Reaction score
I can’t seem to get the cuts correct. I’ve tried what seems to be everything to get this to fit. Pic below. I am clueless as to what I am need to do or what I am doing incorrect. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpeg
    IMG_0880.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0883.jpeg
    IMG_0883.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9617.jpeg
    IMG_9617.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 0
You will need to use a coping saw and make what they call a back cut.

There are lots of videos here is one.

I invert the crown, tilt the blade to 22.5 degrees, then cut at a 45 degree angle. comes out perfect without back cutting.

I invert the crown, tilt the blade to 22.5 degrees, then cut at a 45 degree angle. comes out perfect without back cutting.
The OPs photos show that he already has square cut both side of the room and is trying to fit the back piece in.

Turning it upside down then tilting the blade to 22.5 and then cutting at 45 I’m having a hard time picturing. What kind of saw are you using?

On a chop saw cutting it upside down at 45 will show the profile to follow making the back cut with a coping saw. If you are using a table saw or radial arm saw are you making the miter cut and the back cut all at once?

I wonder if there is a video of this method?

I use a 12" DeWalt compound miter saw. I keep 4 samples so I don't get confused when I cut crown
Inside corner left, inside corner right, outside corner left, and outside corner right. These saws have a 22.5 degree tab, so pull the tab and tilt until it stops. Those samples make the job quick, until I have sloped ceilings to contend with. For those, I have to pull out a pencil and measure degrees.

The OPs photos show that he already has square cut both side of the room and is trying to fit the back piece in.

Turning it upside down then tilting the blade to 22.5 and then cutting at 45 I’m having a hard time picturing. What kind of saw are you using?

On a chop saw cutting it upside down at 45 will show the profile to follow making the back cut with a coping saw. If you are using a table saw or radial arm saw are you making the miter cut and the back cut all at once?

I wonder if there is a video of this method?
I am using a miter saw and Ofcourse the coping saw. I also have made sure to measure everything correctly as this house is a new build some times they are never right at the 45 angle so to speak.

Your are correct I am having the problem with the fitting back into place I have watched hours of videos it seems. I have asked a couple friends , but they with actually being here to assist it’s hard to explain.

But I also use the blade tilt. Why, I can't remember. Maybe when I cut it not being upside down?

I am using a miter saw and Ofcourse the coping saw. I also have made sure to measure everything correctly as this house is a new build some times they are never right at the 45 angle so to speak.

Your are correct I am having the problem with the fitting back into place I have watched hours of videos it seems. I have asked a couple friends , but they with actually being here to assist it’s hard to explain.
The video I posted is the method I like for inside corners and it is the coping method. The video Havasu posted is the miter or picture frame method and requires a miter on both pieces. That method is more likely to show a gap if the wood shrinks with time.

When coping you make one piece run straight into the corner the way you did on your side walls. Then you cut the piece joining it first with a miter cut just to produce the line to make the cope cut. In theory if you cut the cope at exactly 90 it would match up, but normally you lay the back cut off a few more degrees to make sure the visible edge is a tight fit.

It looks like from your photos that when you cut the back piece you had it flat on the saw table rather than sitting flush on both guides as they show in the video.

Do not use the "blade tilt". Put the crown on your miter saw table with the top down on the table as if it were the ceiling and the bottom edge along the back fence as the wall, holding at the angle it will be mounted at when installed. Then cut it at a 45 degree.

Do not use the "blade tilt". Put the crown on your miter saw table with the top down on the table as if it were the ceiling and the bottom edge along the back fence as the wall, holding at the angle it will be mounted at when installed. Then cut it at a 45 degree.
Dave

Do you have a preference between mitering and coping an inside corner?

I installed a wall in our house where there didn’t used to be one. I cut out a 4 3/4” chunk of the existing crown, built the wall and then had to “cope” in a new piece of crown onto it. I used the method @bud16415 outlined in post #2

1705070123031.jpeg

1705070092422.jpeg

Back