Damp Looking Mortar between Cinder Blocks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newsusy

Reaction score
We have had numerous "experts" look at our basement walls, and all seem to be in a quandary about what has caused this. Of course we would like to find out before forking out thousands of dollars to excavate the whole perimeter of our home and having to remove 2 decks to do so, and retarring and waterproofing, as suggested by one contractor.

History:
The house was raised 27 years ago to put a basement in. 10 years ago the main level was renovated, and spray foam insulation put in the walls. 1 year ago the basement was completely renovated. There had never been any signs of water until vapor barrier and insulation was removed from one corner of the basement - northwest. We and the contractors determined that it was the grading just outside this area, the placement of down pipes and the fact that we had been heaping snow in that area in the winter. The water damage was minimal considering that the outside conditions hadn't changed in 27 years, and it hadn't pooled anywhere in the basement but showed dampness behind the insulation, which was about 4 feet wide by 6 feet high. We addressed the grading and down pipes. The basement is not damp, there is no condensation anywhere, summer or winter. We have central air conditioning and the basement is a little cooler than the main level.

The wet mortar marks, some with efflorescence, have been gradually showing more and more over the past 8 years or so (only on the outside of the block, not when looking at it from the inside), and are showing on 3 areas of the house that are either very shaded by decks, trees or facing away from the sun. They do not feel damp to the touch. The one wall facing the sun shows nothing. We have never seen to the parging in the 27 years that it has been on (our bad) and we have been told recently that it seems very thin in places. The parging is falling off in chunks in what seems like random areas. There is no sign of rising water "tide" marks in the blocks themselves.

I have attached photos of all sides of the house, and under decks. What's your take on the problem? If you have any questions ask away.

68625d1469021933-damp-looking-mortar-between-cinder-blocksw-northeastfacing-verylittlesun.jpg
68626d1469021947-damp-looking-mortar-between-cinder-blocksw-northwestfacing-shadedbytrees.jpg
68621d1469021882-damp-looking-mortar-between-cinder-blocksw-northwestfacing-shadedbydeck.jpg

This is the dry wall facing the hot sun...
68622d1469021896-damp-looking-mortar-between-cinder-blocksw-southwestfacing-tonsofsun.jpg

I have worked mostly with concrete not blocks but even with a waterproof foundation, moisture can wick thru the footing and out to where it is warmer. The sun would likely keep this moving along so it wouldn't be so noticeable.
Before I spent a lot of money on this I would find one spot and dig down and and at the bottom drill into the block and see if you have water sitting in the bottom, if water is higher than or close to the floor level, I would say you have a problem that needs to be fixed.

Back