Deck Board Gap, increase?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csborgman

Reaction score
A few years ago I replaced almost half the boards of my deck. I didn't realize it at the time but my boards are way too close together in most areas, sometimes touching. Maybe the board expanded? Not sure, but it's ugly because so much crap is stuck deep between the boards.

Any suggestions on a way to widen this gap to something respectable? The only thing I can think of, if it exists, is a very thick kerf circular saw blade and just run it up and down widening as it goes.

If you're looking to increase the gap between your deck boards to prevent debris buildup and improve aesthetics, there are a few approaches you can consider:

1. Circular Saw: As you mentioned, using a circular saw with a thicker kerf blade can help widen the gaps between the boards. However, this approach may be challenging to execute accurately and could potentially damage the boards if not done carefully.
  2. Deck Board Spacers: Purchase or create deck board spacers specifically designed to fit between the boards and maintain consistent spacing. These spacers come in various sizes and materials, such as plastic or metal, and can be inserted between the boards as you work your way across the deck.
  3. Pruning Shears: For smaller gaps, you can manually widen them using pruning shears or a similar cutting tool. Carefully trim any excess material or protrusions along the edges of the boards to create a more uniform gap.
  4. Power Washer: Using a power washer with an appropriate nozzle attachment, you can apply water pressure to the gaps between the boards to remove debris and slightly widen the spaces. Be cautious not to use excessive pressure, as this can damage the wood.
  5. Expansion Joints: Consider adding expansion joints or flexible spacers between the boards to accommodate natural wood expansion and contraction due to changes in temperature and humidity. These joints allow the boards to move independently while maintaining consistent spacing.
Before proceeding with any method, it's essential to assess the current condition of your deck boards and ensure that they are structurally sound. Additionally, take appropriate safety precautions and follow manufacturer recommendations when using power tools or equipment. If you're unsure about the best approach for your specific situation, consider consulting with a professional deck builder or contractor for guidance.

My neighbor blows the maple seeds & junk out of the tiny gaps on hers with an air compressor (and safety eye wear). Maybe that'll work for you. It's not permanent, but might get the wet debris away so it can't damage the wood.

Would an oscillating tool work? It's perhaps easier to control than a circular saw.

If you cut, do you have to re-seal the edges?

Paul

Latest posts

Back