Does this opening between the bathtub and tile look normal before I re-caulk it? How should I seal the joint between the tub and the wood moulding?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robob74

Reaction score
I have just peeled the poorly placed caulk around my bathtub and now need to re-caulk it.
  1. Does the result of my caulk-removal look typical to you? (It's my first time doing it.)
  2. There are bits of old caulk that seem impossible for me to peel off with my painter's tool. Should I keep scraping at it until I've got it all off? (My fear is that I'd replace the leftover caulk with scratches on my tub.)
  3. Is it ok to use the same caulk between the joint of the bath and the wood baseboard moulding? It seems there wasn't any caulk there before.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20201013_150933.jpg
    20201013_150933.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201013_150951.jpg
    20201013_150951.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 19
We do not know what "painters tool" you are using, however if the caulk is anything other than grout, I'd use a razor scrapper, and as far as caulk goes, I do not use silicone, just POLYSEAMSEAL, because it works with a damp finger, remains plaiable for years and is paintable.

An no that does not look "normal".
One of two things have happened, the tub has moved downwards, or someone messed up when installing the tile.
That tile should have been ran down over the lip, not to the top of it.
That gap looks way to big to be just filling with caulking.

this is not normal , there should be backer board the tile all the way to the floor. then tile installed over the tub.

I'm glad I asked. Thanks. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Would the complexity of the task require a professional, or would a novice like myself be able to take care of it?

Give it a try, expand your knowledge base, you'll thank yourself in the future.

In the corner where the largest opening is, I'd use a cheap caulk as a filler, which will act as a backing for the finish caulk that is used for the rest of the area.
Using a sanded grout is another option, however there is the inevitability for cracking, which can be cured by using non sanded grout, and/or caulking.

For the tight fitted areas, such as the tub apron and molding, just caulk should be sufficient.

Back