Does this tile job look professionally done?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I paid half up front. Still owe the second half. Should I request the entire thing be re done? I dont want to prolong this any longer than its been already, but I want it done right.

Take your time now and deal with the now headache, if you settle it will bother you for years to come. Withhold payment until things are done proper. Pooling is not proper and either is five pounds of grout not wiped out of the corner, let alone the bad tile job. I would personally ask for it to be removed and replaced but in reality it can probably be saved.

What did the contractor say when you complained about it? I agree theres alot of imperfection and you,ll only kick yourself as time goes on.

Waiting for him to come look at it. His secretary said she would forward my email complaint on, but I haven't heard back.

Was that grout that was on the surface of the tiles able to be wiped off or did they leave the grout too long without wiping it away?
If it was not able to be wiped away, that was definitely a sloppy job.

I hope the contractor doesn't give you the run-around.

Filed with the BBB today, and that apparently got his attention. He is coming Monday morning to look at the work and assures me he'll make it right. We'll see. Thank you again for all the advice!

Please let us know how it all works out.

The underlayment and prep prior to the install is really important for the installation to be perfect. This is where the problem started with this project. It looks like it was rushed, and the subfloor might have appeared ok but there may have been some inconsistancies with the wall prep. ALSO either the tile size was inconsistent ( 1/16 of an inch variance in a tile can create spacing problem) or they didn't use enough spacers .

Once the tile is properly cleaned and buffed, it might not look as bad.

Uneven tile indicates either a poor preparation of the walls and floors OR really poor craftsmanship on tile setting. I would have them rip it out and re-do it. I have made tile setters do this and its not a happy day for them. The sooner you do it, the better before the thinset really hardens.

Your joints should be even and no large gaps. If you take a drywall knife on edge and run it over the wall it should scrape evenly. If it hangs up or skips where the tile is uneven, the job is not acceptable. The grout job at the bottom is particularly important to prevent future leakage. Their job is not satisfactory

I agree.
The price isn't the matter here. You'd expect a professional to be "professional" with the whole job as such.
On the other hand, It's not horrible too. Just that it doesn't scream 'pro;.

Looks like someone was not a fan of cutting tiles to fit. Large amounts of grout in there.

What's up with all of the spacing and such? I'm not anywhere near a pro. When I put down ceramic tile on the dining room floor, I used spacers when I set the tile in the adhesive. My tiles are even and that was literally my first time ever doing the stuff. I used a wet saw/tile saw to cut the tile. I had never used one of those before, either. My tiles are even. Who is this clown? In the pics, even the grout spacing looks off and uneven in way too many places. Looks like they didn't want to be bothered with cutting the pieces to proper size, so they just allowed large gaps and filled it in.

The spacing between tiles...how the heck can they mess that up? The spacer is made to help you get just the right amount of space on each piece. That's like messing up getting a cup of coffee...:mad: I'm guessing they must have skimped on buying spacers or didn't use them.

Last edited:
I'd demand a full demo down to the subfloor and studs with no less-than-perfect parts re-used anywhere. I'd also begin spouting specs of what the job should be like (you can learn those at the John Bridge Tile Forum) and tell him that you want every spec met or exceeded. Tell him that he gets just one more chance and not with the previous sub, and that you're going to be watching the whole process constantly taking pictures of it all. The contractor won't be a happy camper but if he's worth his salt he will agree to that since it is simply you asking that the job be done properly. If he balks, say thanks for dropping by, my lawyer will be in touch with you shortly.

There is no excuse for an uneven tile job or improper sloping, but if you selected the tiles and they are inconsistent in size, then you're stuck with the unequal grout lines which must now necessarily be there. Those can be spaced for best appearance which should come out looking acceptably well if not perfect. You can't do that by lining up one edge as is usually done, each tile will require adjustment. I've dealt with that headache before myself. The corners should all be straight and true on both sides and cut tiles should have the exposed cut edges eased over.

I have to wonder why the contractor didn't reject the tile job on his own- I sure would have and so would everybody else I know. That to me says this contractor isn't one to use and that you're probably going to be going to court over this. But give him one chance to make it right first and hopefully he will do that. I know I would.

Phil

Last edited:
I talked to John Bridge on another forum before (not his forum, but a plumbing forum) and he seems like a very nice guy. The tile jobs on his site are beautiful.

Back