dry rot and mold

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question...i am sure this house has had a mold issue for a long long time .......Sooo... where could i look for records that might document a past mold condition...?????

Your input appreciated Starrider

What kind of mold is harmful to breath? I'm not talking about allergies, but I wondered if some types of mold are environmentally bad. The home I'm trying to purchase now has water in basement, as well as other issues, but I noticed white mold on the beams in the basement (home built in 1908, has crawl space and area large enough for water heater, airhandler, electrical panel. Yes, it's a fixer-upper, yes, I'm going to get the basement dry, but didn't know if I should treat the mold specifically).

And here's my two cents on the inspection/contractor topic: Do your homework first - look up the type of damage you see around your home and then go on the web and search like crazy, search at the library, Barnes & Nobles. Know what you're dealing with and how it's repaired. And by all means get a reputable inspector that is certified by state and the professional home inspection group (don't remember the acronym!) - there is a difference between a home inspector that does a visual inspection and someone who goes beyond visual - and it should be spelled out in your contract. Most pre-buying inspections are visual and not the itemized, detailed lists with repair estimates. You know the saying, let the buyer beware....and you get what you pay for...(okay, you don't always get that, but you always should beware). As for contractors - there's no rules, I've used ones my friends used and gotten lousy service, I've interviewed and checked references and gotten lousy service, I've gone by the phone book, bids, newspapers, etc. and haven't found a sure fire way to get a happy ending. Sorry.

Inspector web site for professional inspectors, not part timers is www.ashi.org

That is the organization I am a member of. :D

Hi guys...been away...However still working and learnng to fix this old house. With regards to the mold issue smell in the room...it's along one wall floor board/floor...I figure its either from the water leaking down from the wall or the outside adjacent redwood deck which sits on the tar roof (which is at the same height or higher than the interior floor of the room. Hence possible when it rains the water can seep in...

At anyrate...my temporary fix is to spray bleach on it...and open all the windows.... As far as my present focus...it's painting the exterior cove redwood siding.....Using a good paint kelly more...matched to the the present color...which allows me to paint it a little a time in that the new paint just blends perfectly in with the old paint. Using a oil base primer in a spray can. Caulking and sanding ...using a 3/8 drill with a disc and 40-60 grit paper to hit the rough spots...

A few of the planks (siding) i found were soft...dry rot...so we'll hopefully get a good man to cut and patch with new wood where needed...( he will have to do it on a ladder three stories up...

ps... ...got the rotor rooter guy and cleared out all the drains around the house...one was completely plugged...

The house next door to us is a bad case of buyers remorse, and then so was my mom's brand new house that she had built in 1995.
What I would suggest is report the realtor to the local BBB and what ever Realty Assoc. you have. Then, get a termite person out to treat the house whether you have the bugs or not. Then, my suggestion is to have a building inspector (from your local Inspection Office, these guys are employed by your city govt.) come out and tell you exactly what needs to be done to bring the house to code. They will leave you with some paperwork that shows what is what, and how long you ahve to complete some issues.
Other than that... good luck,... sounds like you'll need it.

That Kansas tornado chic has it right...

My question is how long has the deck ledger board smelled like mold? The connection is most likely rotten and in need of replacement...bleach will not solve the problem of the collapse you have of the roof and deck.

We would like to see you around a while longer, get someone to look at your issues.

Please...:D

Hi InspectorD!

Thanks for your concerns...Yes you are correct...bleach is not the solution...It's hard to find a contractor that you can trust in this city...or at least it is for me...(being new to the city).....and so i am just taking it slow...doing what i can and asking for good referrals all the time.

The house accross the street which is only 3/4 the size of mine ...sold for almost what i paid for mine and they have gutted it and probably spending a ton renovating it and it is still being worked on...real estate although high has slowed down some...

I did have another question though...some of the siding planks that are rot need to be change...what is the correct way in cutting out the rot and patching it with new wood.....it's 1x10 redwood cove...? Perhaps this deserves a new topic thread...

Starrider

Back