Drywall Joints.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes sence, I didn't see what he did, he just told me about it.

The conversation got me thinking and now that I have all my drywall done I come up with an idea to try. Haha.

I think before I do anymore ceilings or do any joining strips I will make 3 or 4 of this new tool I just invented. I have 3 holes for pull down screws and 6 larger holes to screw thru to hold the sheet so you can remove and replace the other 3 screws.

Anyone doing drywall and want to try making one can let us know if it helps.

From this day forward it’s to be called the “Drywall Buddy” after its inventor.
:D

Drywall Tool.jpg

BTW. That curved ceiling, 1/4" drywall times 2 or 3. They lean them against a wall after weting the backside. It bends as the back expands and it bends pretty fast. Your rig might work but it will never fly with out an engine..:banana:

I am a remodeling contractor,not a sheetrock contractor but hang some drywall several times a week.sometimes whole houses.I have never seen 60" wide drywall but hear it is available on special order with a minimum of one pallet..I buy 54" drywall form a local lumber yard on a regular basis.It is also available at the local Home Depot and Menard's stores.
Anytime you can hang board horizontally and have one factory seam down the middle at an easy height to finish you are obviously better off.

Interesting. In my own house with 9' ceilings they installed 1 60" piece at the top and 1 48" piece at the bottom. 9 and 10 foot ceilings are very common here so maybe the local drywall distributor keeps it on hand due to demand. If the demand is there the distributor would have no reason to make you buy it by the pallet load if you don't need a full pallet.

Interesting. In my own house with 9' ceilings they installed 1 60" piece at the top and 1 48" piece at the bottom. 9 and 10 foot ceilings are very common here so maybe the local drywall distributor keeps it on hand due to demand. If the demand is there the distributor would have no reason to make you buy it by the pallet load if you don't need a full pallet.
I understand what you are saying.It's just not used or needed in most parts of the country so not stocked.It's all a question of supply and demand.Why would I stock 60" drywall that takes up a lot of floor space to sell a few sheets a year?It is special order around here and not worth the cost for them to handle it unless buying a bunk.

From a DIY, homeowner, one man band, old guy and lucky to have a pick-m-up truck type of person I find anything much over 4x8 is testing my limits. That’s what I see the vast majority of people coming here fall into that category or some parts of it. Last year I did more drywall than I had in 10 years and put 25 sheets up on ceilings and maybe 30 on 9’ walls. I thought about renting or buying a lift renting was a problem as the rental would have stretched out over a month and I couldn’t see buying one for that few sheets and then trying to sell it. Looking back the only thing I maybe could have done different was buy 10 footers and cut them for my 9’ walls but the seams all turned out good the other way. Bigger than 4x8 on the ceilings I know would have killed me alone.

Hey Bud, do you have a "standard" drywall prop? Do you put one together when needed, or do you keep one handy? if it works well, maybe you could share it.

Hey Bud, do you have a "standard" drywall prop? Do you put one together when needed, or do you keep one handy? if it works well, maybe you could share it.

I don’t know if I took any photos last time or not I will have to look. Basically because my ceilings are 9’ I made it in the shape of a T with the leg going to the floor two 8’ pieces held together with a couple screws. That way I could back the screws out to adjust the height. I had a couple gussets at the top to support the T connection. You build 2 of these. If I have a helper that’s fairly strong I carry in the sheet and set it on top of two 6’ step ladders that have a towel folded up on the top and sit the sheet about where it needs to go up. Each guy grabs a prop and lift the sheet up and get it close to the ceiling but just a little loose. Shimmy it over and snug it up by kicking in the bottom of the prop against the floor a bit tighter and then take the ladders out. One guy stands under the sheet holding both props and the other guy goes up the ladder and can bump the sheet tighter if it needs it. Then you kick both props in tight and go up and start running screws or driving nails. As a kid all we had was nails and you used a special hammer with a serrated face that was crowned. The crown let you not tear the paper and the serrations poked little holes that helped the mud stick. The spot then was about a half dollar size to fill. In ceilings you always put two nails together about 3 inches apart on your spacing and one nail on walls.

This last time I was working with grandpa and he was a little shaky on the lifting part so I would put the sheet on the two ladders and yell at him when I was ready for the props and he would kick them in as I was holding the sheet up. He showed up and forgot his hearing aids one day and he can’t see too good. I yelled props and he was fumbling around and taking his time and the sheet wasn’t getting lighter. He finally puts the first prop in with my fingers between the prop and the drywall and I yell you got my fingers and he says hold on I’ll get the other one and goes to my other hand and pinches it as well. Now I’m stuck but the sheet isn’t heavy and I look down and he’s handing me the drill.

After that sheet we had a little meeting.

Drywall prop.jpg

I saw a guy with some crazy ideas. He was a local handyman, he said he took his first job with out any idea how to do it. He came in with a bench about 6 ft long 16" high with full length step on one side and bunch of old 2x4s. and the usual tee but it slipped in tha base that had four coaster wheel and was adjustable for height.

He screwed a 2x4 to the wall about 3/4" down from the ceiling, he leaned 2 2x4s against that on each had a block in the middle on the top about half way down. He set a sheet of dry wall on those sloped 2x4s above the blocks. Then he set the bench about 3 ft from the wall and set his tee thing in the center of the room and he grabbed a string that was attached to it and and hooked that to his belt.
In a flash he had the sheet against the ceiling while he climbed the bench and he did a quick turn around which pulled the tee thing into reach and it was up and stable.
For the center sheet he had a length of 3/4 plywood with a 2x4 attached off set and screwed that to the floor joists 4 ft from the first.
He was as quick as most pros.

Yep sometimes not knowing is the best way to figure out a better way.

I saw a guy with some crazy ideas. He was a local handyman, he said he took his first job with out any idea how to do it. He came in with a bench about 6 ft long 16" high with full length step on one side and bunch of old 2x4s. and the usual tee but it slipped in tha base that had four coaster wheel and was adjustable for height.

He screwed a 2x4 to the wall about 3/4" down from the ceiling, he leaned 2 2x4s against that on each had a block in the middle on the top about half way down. He set a sheet of dry wall on those sloped 2x4s above the blocks. Then he set the bench about 3 ft from the wall and set his tee thing in the center of the room and he grabbed a string that was attached to it and and hooked that to his belt.
In a flash he had the sheet against the ceiling while he climbed the bench and he did a quick turn around which pulled the tee thing into reach and it was up and stable.
For the center sheet he had a length of 3/4 plywood with a 2x4 attached off set and screwed that to the floor joists 4 ft from the first.
He was as quick as most pros.

I'd like to see the video of that set-up.

@Bud: Yep. That sounds about right. The picture is good too.

Last time, i rented a hoist because I had a couple of 12' sheets, but i can see the point if you are doing a project over a few days. 8' sheets are about as far as i would go with the props though.

Just my thoughts after watching the videos.The English chap with his clips puts the board up at the first joist out from the corner.What if he need to adjust it to get the corner square.Could have hung a few sheets while he was meesing with the do dads .
The second video was really usless imo.Nail a 2x up make the little spinners,have your wife help to plumb the cutouts
Whats wrong with a tape and cutting them out before you hang the sheet?After he hung the full sheet he had about a half sheet to finish the ceiling.Those little swivel things he made would be useless there .There is no room for them.

Just my thoughts after watching the videos.The English chap with his clips puts the board up at the first joist out from the corner.What if he need to adjust it to get the corner square.Could have hung a few sheets while he was meesing with the do dads .
The second video was really usless imo.Nail a 2x up make the little spinners,have your wife help to plumb the cutouts
Whats wrong with a tape and cutting them out before you hang the sheet?After he hung the full sheet he had about a half sheet to finish the ceiling.Those little swivel things he made would be useless there .There is no room for them.

I think suggestions would be welcome.

I think marking the boxes on the floor is a pretty good idea, whether your wife has to help or not. You could always rig a little thing to hang your plumb bob in the box, so you could mark it yourself. I also like the temp ledgerboard attached to the wall. I'm thinking a couple of door hinges would make that a better lever.

10 guys will have 10 different ideas. Each idea is a tool, the more it is kicked around puts more tools in everyone bag.
I am always impressed with two man crew that throw up a sheet with about six nails and move across the ceiling in minutes and come back and screw it up. Most of the outfits up here will have another two man crew that come in and tape, another guy only does the beads. two different guys for two coats of fill and then two sanders come in with their lights.
A few years ago we were using the garage next door to store some tools and had lawn chairs there for our coffee break and we were sitting there. Two guy came out of the house and asked us to move our stuff as they were going to do a finish coat. By the time we had our stuff out, about 15 minutes, they were done and left.

Back