Electric hot water tank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertRider

Reaction score
I know code called for Gas Hot Water tanks to be mounted18 inches or so above floor level in case of a gas leak... but does the same go for Electric Hot Water Tanks?

I’m not sure what code says, but in my old home the electric tank sat about an inch off the floor. In this house I just replaced the gas-fired tank and I put it right where the old one was about an inch off the floor. The ceilings in our basement are not high enough to go 18” and it would make exhausting it a problem.

Code varies from place to place so maybe a call to the local office would be in order.

The 18" above the floor, Is the height that the pilot is required to be, because NAT gas is heavier than O2 so it's to prevent combustion of any accumulation from any leak.

I set elec units on 3 common bricks.

Garage gas fired need to be 18" off the floor, basement units don't. Though the local codes may dictate otherwise. No need to my knowledge for an electric water heater to be off the floor. Do add a pan to catch any leaks though and add a water detector to alert you if it isn't in area you go to daily.

Last edited:
Back