exhaust fan vertical wall mount

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgy2001

Reaction score
I need to replace vertically wall mount bathroom exhaust fan,
the wall opening is 8" vertical 7" horizontal.

We need a very quiet fan. Can you please tell me how to do this and where to find replacement fan.

I went to Home Depot, Lowe's, Orchard Supply, etc. none have any quiet fan to fit into this space and mounting.

Any advice are much appreciated. Thank you.

exhaust wall mount (3).jpg

wall mount exhaust fan.jpg

exhaust fan V 8 x H 7 inch.jpg

The biggest cause of noise isn't the fan. If you find a store with a display where you can test them, they are all quiet because the have no duct work hooked up.
If you remove the screw you can pull that plate complete with motor fan and all and you might be able to see how it is attached to the stud beside it.
Where does it vent now straight out the wall or up thru the roof or what have you?

The newer rat wheel fans are alot quieter than that old jalopy, and should fit right into your housing without any modifications.

20151005_100509_resized.jpg

Most fans are rated for either ceiling or wall mount, not both. Make sure you read the box/instructions.

If that wall unit is a NuTone, you can buy a replacement motor fairly cheap which is upgraded for less noise.

-Bath Fan Upgrade Kit 60CFM-

Last edited:
thank you. Looking at this Hampton Bay fan, I can see the mounting holes is on the outside of the fan metal housing.
I can install this easily when my house was built 30 years ago. But at this time, I will have no access to mount the fan housing unit.

I can screw the hanging screws on the wall joists; hang the fan assembly on the screws blindly; but will have no way to tighten the screws?

If you can't find one that matches so you can just replace the inside parts you will likely have to open the wall. You also have the duct to deal with inside the wall.
And yes ,we see the finish on the wall that will be hard to deal with.

looks like contractor is needed to open the wall so that the fan housing can mounted and secured on the joists (likely 2x4). Large section of the sheet rock will need to be replace.

Is this what I will need to do? Any alternative?

looks like contractor is needed to open the wall so that the fan housing can mounted and secured on the joists (likely 2x4). Large section of the sheet rock will need to be replace.

Is this what I will need to do? Any alternative?

Only if you can find a replacement that the innards fit the housing you have.
Remove that one screw and take that piece with you when you go shopping and maybe you get lucky.
But after that you are removing drywall but if that is an interior wall and the drywall on the back side is smooth you could get in from behind.

One possibility is if the new fan matches the old (outside dimensions) ; you can dismantle the new unit and mount the box thru the sides - you may have to drill starter holes - and then reassemble the unit.

One possibility is if the new fan matches the old (outside dimensions) ; you can dismantle the new unit and mount the box thru the sides - you may have to drill starter holes - and then reassemble the unit.

but if the old one is mounted outside the box like the new one and how do you deal with the duct?

The fan I displayed has the rat wheel assembly which looks very close to what the OP posted, including the plug. With any luck, you could use just the inner assembly and mount it directly into the outer casing of the old unit. Even the edge locking tabs look very similar. It's worth a try to purchase this from Home Depot, and see if it will install. What's the worst that could happen? You return it for your money back?

its just comes to me. why can't I just replace the fan motor? Where can I get a AC fan motor, but must be quiet? I can mount the motor on the previous bracket.

exhaust wall mount (2).jpg

Some lumber yard and hardware stores carry parts. I would take the inards out and take them with me and see if you could find something that fits.

have not found anywhere I can buy the replacement fan motor? Anyone out there has done this and share your experience?

cannot tell the brand of the motor. It was installed by the home builder 30 years ago.

Latest posts

Back