Feedback wanted on improperly installed windows and proposed fix.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinyCat

Reaction score
Long story short, we replaced all of our windows in 2018. Replacements were SoftLite replacements. I believe they were pocket replacements but installed from the outside which is unusual. Bottom line is that they were installed incorrectly and the installer relied 100% on caulking to prevent water intrusion. This obviously wasn’t effective. Good news is that I caught it early and water damage isn’t too bad and there was no mold. Bad news is that the contractor is appearing less and less competent with the fix. Thus far the exterior walls have been opened up from under the roof to allow the walls to dry and the caulking has all been replaced to buy us time. Sometime in January we will address the main fix.

The front windows are the worst by far as the front of our house receives roughly 7 hours of direct sun in the summer. I’ve attached photos of our front second story, diagram of our current install, diagram of my proposed fix, and the steps I want the contractor to follow. A note on the diagrams, it’s intended to be a cut away, the tape will extend across the entire flange area and overlap the other tape runs. I’m also not a pro, just a semi handy person who knows how gravity and water flow. IMG_0360.jpegWindow Diagram Proposed Fix.jpegWindow Diagram Current Installation.jpeg

Attachments

• Window Fix List Redacted.pdf
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
Just a follow up, the installer installed no flashing around the windows. Once the caulking failed water got behind the roof flashing and rotted out the OSB behind the header as well as some of the 2x4s.

IMG_0339.jpeg
IMG_0350.jpeg

Back