Foundation Issues?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheraz

Reaction score
I am noticing something with my house. It is an old house build in 1982 and we moved in last year. Just for last few months I am noticing few things and wondering if there are any foundation issues with the house. The house is two story and every where I step whether wooden floor or carpet, I feel that the floor is not level. I used leveler on wooden floor and I do see that it is bit sagged down in different places. The wooden floor seems be also expanding in some places. Baseboard trim is getting separated from walls in quite a few places. There seems to be gaps developing between floor and the walls again in more than one place. Some of the windows are hard to open and close and we thought that it is because they are old and replacing them would fix the issue.
The below picture is the one that worries me most, it wasn't there few months back and now very noticeable. It is on top of a door and paint seems to be coming off around some beam/truss.

View media item 1765
Here are some of the gaps between floor and walls
View media item 1764View media item 1763View media item 1762View media item 1756
Hardwood floor not being level.
View media item 1741View media item 1739View media item 1748
Hardwood floor moving apart
View media item 1731View media item 1735
Another thing that I am noticing is these weird lines in the ceiling as if some wood structure is pressing too much against the ceiling
View media item 1745View media item 1744View media item 1742
Baseboard trim moving away from the wall
View media item 1761
There is this rain water drainage pipe that seems to have move down a bit as evident by the old paint area getting exposed.
View media item 1760
All these thing concern me and I am wondering of these are signs of foundation issues, I am willing to get a report from structural engineer but I am worried that they may ask me to do unnecessary repairs as they work on commission. What do folks here think, I can get some photos.

I've never heard of a real engineer working on commision.
All those pictures and not one picture or info on what's going on under the house.
The ceiling to me just looks like a horrible tape job, as soon as I see texture on a wall or ceiling to me it says just slap it on, cover it up and get out of here.
It's very common to see a small crack over doorway like that and and an easy fix.
If I had to look this over first thing I'd be doing is looking under the house to see what's causing it, it's going to do 0 good to patch it up if the bones are bad.
As far as the gaps under the baseboards that could be lots of things, something as simple as there used be another type flooring there and they were too lazy to remove the baseboards when installing the new, Ect.

@nealtw yes there is crawlspace under the house and I am just North of Seattle.
@joecaption I have no clue what is under the house, like I mention there is crawlspace but I have no experience of going in a crawlspace let alone figure out what is happening there.
I guess getting an inspection from a structural engineer be the right way forward.

Did you have a home inspector check out the foundation for structural issues? To me it does look like the foundation has shifted slightly.

@nealtw yes there is crawlspace under the house and I am just North of Seattle.
@joecaption I have no clue what is under the house, like I mention there is crawlspace but I have no experience of going in a crawlspace let alone figure out what is happening there.
I guess getting an inspection from a structural engineer be the right way forward.
Sorry I missed your post in Dec., Thanks to David for finding it.
You will need an inspection under the house to see how it is structured and or how it has settled,
You could have a foundation that has settled and usually some jacking is not the end of the world.
You could also have floor joists that were over spanned for there size.
You need to get under there or have some one under there with a laser level that can do a sketch of the post beams and walls and measure the sizes and length.
And with the laser find the highest spot in the floor and how much lower the rest of the sections of the floor are.

Back