Frozen Electrician's Pliers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being on the east side of the USA I get up a bit earlier than havasu most likely and sit down with my morning coffee and check my emails and bank account and then jump on here and take a look at new members. It takes 10-15 minutes helping you guys have a fairly spam free place to visit. Most mornings there are 3-6 people trying to get in and some only take a second to figure out they are spam and others take a little poking around. There are of course a couple real members wanting to join and we let them in with a welcome hoping they will stick around. The hardest ones are the ones that pass all tests but just don’t seem right, like having a cryptic email addy no one could ever remember and such. We let some thru that we are not 100% sure of and we are thankful when you folks spot them doing something odd and report it. It is hard to follow every thread and catch everything.

Oldog before he passed was catching most of the ones I’m seeing now I think. I would notice he was on most mornings and would normally say hi and ask him if the spam was up.

I check in here and there during the day some days more than others and maybe find one or two more.

I would feel bad if I booted someone that was real by mistake and I’m sure out of the 1000s of spammers I have seen I have. There is no perfect system as if you make it too hard to join people will just surf on past and too easy and you will be over run in short order.

We are trying our best. Even though Oldog doubled my pay several times when I would complain I’m still at zero. :coffee:

As you can't see, our new member was in fact a spammer. He posted a hyperlink to a business, where he probably gets a nickel per click, and why he started his introduction with an innocuous first post. Good ol' Bud took him out and gets the "Johnny on the Spot" trophy today!

As a matter of fact Bud, I will double your salary to twice of what I get. By now you should have a heap of zeros after the dollar sign!

I sure miss Oldog Tom. We were chatting one day, and he was complaining about the heat where he lives, and the fact that he needed to mow his lawn. That was our last conversation. Pretty tragic.

I sure miss Oldog Tom. We were chatting one day, and he was complaining about the heat where he lives, and the fact that he needed to mow his lawn. That was our last conversation. Pretty tragic.
Same here. One of our last talks was him asking about Lake Erie fishing and I offered him my side yard as a place to park his camper rig and I would run him water and electric and show him the hot spots for steel head fishing. I think we would have made that trip work.

He never missed an opportunity to remind me how nice his weather was right after we would get a couple feet of snow.

Latest posts

Back