Garage Tilting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That what I was afraid of, we won't find that construction method in a book, they went about it backward.
If you just lift the font of the building and stress the joints back there any more we could cause something to break.
So we have to either fix it first or support it temporary while you do the lift and come back to it.

Just so you know the difference in this picture
The ridge board at the top of the picture is a beam, the gay taking the picture is standing on a beam which is supported by the other angle beam and then the short angled piece is also a beam

help.jpg

I want 5 2x4s one under each of those rafter that end at the angled piece. put a 2x4 on the ground like you were building walls in a V shape nail the bottom in place nail a scab to the top and onto the piece you are support.
About 6 ft off the floor I want a 2x4 nailed across those back on the angle deeper into the garage and nailed to the outside walls.
Discussion??

That what I was afraid of, we won't find that construction method in a book, they went about it backward.
If you just lift the font of the building and stress the joints back there any more we could cause something to break.
So we have to either fix it first or support it temporary while you do the lift and come back to it.

That's a typical carpenter framed valley.

Maybe in your world, most people want it to stay where they put it.

And they have for decades and decades.

However, try to maintain some perspective here, IE. how long are the rafters in the example you posted, 14-16ft?

How long are the rafters in the OP's garage, 6-7ft?

Mao tried that.

I wouldn't mind if you questioned what I say and why it concerned me but you seemed to be determined to prove something, I am not sure what. Buildings in this shape are dangerous but can be worked on, but first you have to understand what all the problems are and how best to make it safe before you start fixing things, then you have to have a plan for the fix.
Then it is ten times that important for the guy doing the work to understand the dangers so he doesn't end up dead.

I wouldn't mind if you questioned what I say and why it concerned me but you seemed to be determined to prove something, I am not sure what.

Who said that the framing style could no be found in a book?

Your answer was to burn the book, of evidence that it not only was in a book but is standard practice.

Buildings in this shape are dangerous but can be worked on, but first you have to understand what all the problems are and how best to make it safe before you start fixing things, then you have to have a plan for the fix.

While it took the OP some time to post pictures of the problems evolution, I was aware pretty much from the start what the cause and corrective actions needed to be.

Then it is ten times that important for the guy doing the work to understand the dangers so he doesn't end up dead.

I have the feeling he already understands.

So, what do you think, another couple of months and another 15-20 pgs.?

"another couple of months and another 15-20 pgs."

That's just your part.

Just to clarify what causes stress in a structure and potential dangers of those stresses.

When a conventional structure is built it is what they call static equilibrium. Of course there are stresses in the materials do to the weight of the building acting downward do to gravity. There are structures built that pre stressed with tension members and such but stick framing isn’t that. So the building was standing and force do to mass (weight) ran down thru the studs and into the earth and the forces balanced and the structure stood. The failure that occurred wasn’t caused by like what we see in a very old house where over centuries members deflected and relaxed and changed shape and now we are jacking against things that to put them right have to be stressed in reverse. This failure was caused by points of attachment failed and the joints then failed and the building hinged along the points of attachment. So now the building could be in a state of tension that was not in the design as pure compression loading. Structures that fail like this want to return to their original position and in jacking we shouldn’t be adding tension to the structure where it wasn’t intended instead we are relieving tension and putting it back where the design had it in the first place. Now jacking beyond the starting point will introduce tension and possibility of danger.

Latest posts

Back