Gurgling noise in toilets and sinks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobc

Reaction score
We have a house with 3 bathrooms, 2 on one floor and 1 on another. Recently toilets and sinks in all of the bathrooms have started making a gurgling noise. It's not just a toilet that's being flushed, sometimes it's a toilet not in use or a sink, even a sink with no water running. What does this mean? Is it an indication of a problem, and what do we need to do? Thanks a lot.

Very odd you have had no response to your post. My excuse is that I have been slammed and am slowly digging my way through old email. I don't claim much plumbing knowledge, and none with 2 story, but my experience with a gurgling toilet or drain is that it likely means a blockage. When water enters the system between the blockage and drain, air in the line is displaced and has nowhere to go but back up through the drain.

Sounds like you have a clog in a drain vent. These are the pipes sticking out the top of your roof. Maybe a birds nest or wasps nest or something.

Venting problems either due to improper venting or blockage . I would suggest hiring a plumber to have a look. Venting is one of the things that most do it yourself do poorly.

Back