Gutter Guard Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgfalcon12

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum and came here because I'm having trouble getting an answer on the internet to what seems like a simple question. I have the reverse-curve style gutter guards on my house and am trying to figure out what maintenance is necessary. They are starting to get dirty and I'm wondering if the best way to clean them is with a pressure washer? Or could that cause damage to nearby shingles? Also, is it necessary to still clean underneath the gutter guard? These are not the type that are easily removable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Look like these?
https://www.gutterhelmet.com/
If there getting that black stuff on them it's tough to get off.
I use "Outdoor Bleach" (it's thicker) spray it on and wait about an hour and hit it with a pressure washer.
When cleaning off the curved part it's best to get up on the roof and blow down.
If it's a single story house I'd be wearing goggles and standing on a stepladder so your not directly under all the dripping.
Wear old clothes and toss them in the washing machine as soon as your done.

Yes, a pressure washer will damage the shingles, do not apply the pressure washer to the roof. Simple Green and a scrub brush on a pole should clean them up, I wouldn't worry about cleaning the underside.

The ones your showing in that picture look like the short ones that are DIY installed that where installed wrong.
They were not locked into the gutter, so they set way to far back and all the trash just ran into the gutter.
Just look at the top to see if there's a seam about every 4', or if there one piece.

Back